Home Chat General Chat

70.3 next year

Hi everyone

I have just joined the forum and I am looking for some specific advice about the Exmoor half IM next year. From what I can gather there are a couple of ' lumps' on the bike course! My bike is Tri specific and I was wondering if it could be better to use a bike that was more suitable for climbing.

Also, is anyone planning a recce weekend to try out the course?

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• RobRob Posts: 209
    stevero, what's your cycling like? There were plenty of guys doing it the first year on tri bikes. There are some sections where a tri bike is the better option. You might just be able to get away with changing your ratios.
  • steverostevero Posts: 2
    Hi Rob

Generally my cycling was pretty strong when I was in shape. I've got a fair bit of work to do yet though. I struggle on the hills because I am carrying about 2 extra stone on what I used to be. I reckon about 6 months should see the best part of that gone (Fingers crossed and off the pies... time to stop dodging the salads methinks!!).

What was a fair to good time on the bike course? Are you signed up again?

Thanks

Steve
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    The quickest pro knocked it off in 2:30 in '06. Slowest was well over 5. A good time would be sub 3:30 ish? Not signed up for next year, will probably do more local HIM's. Lose that weight & you'll find the hills a lot easier!
  • I did a 3.31 bike last year on a tt bike, but per the previous response, put a 'get out of jail' gear on the back this time (2006 I did a 3.47 bike leg).