Home Chat General Chat

New Wheels new gear set or new bike?

I am new to triathlon and bikes as a whole. I need to know wether it is worth spending money on new componenants for my current bike a specialized allez road bike 07, or save my money and buy a new bike?

I was also told that I would not be able to upgrade my gear set. Does this sound like rubbish and a bike shop trying to sell me a bike?

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    utterr rubish.wouldnt go there again.Im a cycle engineer and i say you can upgrade that bike if you want to.May i recommend the 105 or NEW ultegra sl.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Agree with TTX, nothing to stop you upgrading the groupset. I've got the same bike as you (05 model) & when things start breaking/falling off I'm going to upgrade to Shimano 105. Even with a new set of wheels it's cheaper than a new bike.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I have an entry level bike, (Orbea), and upgraded it from Shimano 220, to Shimano 105 and Carbon Fork. I have knocked loads of time of my results, and it feels great.

OK it cost £375.00 to upgrade, but was worth every single penny. It now means I am not going to buy a new bike yet. In that I mean I will buy a new frame one day, but it is more fun upgrading by yourself anyway.

• tony btony b Posts: 57
    Assuming your frame fits you properly, I'd keep it as it's a nice one. Component upgrade could make a bit of weight difference and slicker function too. Check the price of groupsets (£350 - £800 ish plus labour?). You can get a good pair of wheels for £200 upwards. Then later you can upgrade the frame and maybe build up the present one for a training bike. You'll need to look at the price of a new bike that you like the look of and decide which is the most econimical option.
  • Thanks for your advice> I'm searching the web as we speak to get wheels and gears!![:D]