Home Chat General Chat

What do you wear in the wet and cold? (Cycling)

Hi

I'm still quite new to cycling, only started in Jan, and since Fall and winter is comming very soon, I've been looking at cycling clothes, but bit confused on what I should get. I'll be going to Heriot watt Uni (Scotland) next year and not sure how BAD the weather up there is like, but sure is damn cold. Was wondering what kind of waterproof tight fit jackets you would reccomend, or is there such thing as a water proof long sleeve base layer or jersey? What about tights etc....

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• tony btony b Posts: 57
    Hi Chris

I usually make sure my extremeties are protected and work back from that. A thin hat or headband that covers the ears is essential in cold weather. I really like the headbands because they let out some heat through the topb of your head. Both can be worn under a helmet easily. Ski-type gloves (not leather and not too cumbersome) work well; there's loads of choice here. I don't need to wear cycle mitts under these, but you might need to check for fit in case. Overboots are brilliant - again, make sure they fit over your cycle shoes and that they're not too bulky. If they are they tend to rub on the cranks which is annoying. I've just got a pair of neoprene and they keep your feet like toast.

If all these bits are warm, I find I don't need to wear quite so much on my torso. In any case I hate getting too warm on the bike so work it so that I'm chilly at the start of the ride but know that I will soon warm up. The most I have is three layers; a thin thermal top (that wicks moisture away from the body), a cycle jersy (long back) with zip collar (I have a ski top with a very high collar - a real luxry when it's very cold), and a jacket. This could be thin or thick, depending on how cold it is, and/or how much you feel the cold. As for waterproof, I don't bother with this aspect. I have water-resistant jackets but unless I spend a huge amount of money (£100+) nothing is going to keep the rain out completely. If it's really cold I'll wear longs (thin) but will avoid it if possible.

It's a tricky one trying to judge the right clothing before a ride, especially if it's unsettled. The last thing you want on are clothes that don't dry out quickly. Experiment and you'll find a balance soon enough.

Oh, and clear glasses are great in the cold. As is vaseline smeared on the face on long, cold rides!! I learnt that trick a long time ago.

Hope this helps
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Gotta agree with all of the above!

My 'life saver' has been over shoes. I train in the north east of scotland and during our 11 month winters, I have occassionally forgotten to put the over shoes on - one one occasion my toes were black and took nearly a week to recover!

They are an absolute must have.

Luckily we have had such a long and warm summer to let us get our warm weather gear on........
  • semerysemery Posts: 27
    Hi there not so much for the freezing cold by in-between seasons. When wearing a short sleeve jersey, I sometimes carry in my back pocket a pair of arm warmers rather than another whole jacket. Sounds strange but when they are on it looks like under garment.
  • mini__Cmini__C Posts: 44
    What about base layer wise? Do you guys use any stuff like nike pro vent or basic??

or any tight fit waterpoof jacket that you guys recommend??

Thanks

• pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    I like Icebreaker or similar merino fine wool T-shirts and jumpers. They come in different thickness for base layer or second and third (those later too bulky for cycling). I use them for hiking, cycling, running as keep you warm when wet, breathe really well and don't stink as much (useful if you have to put it bck on again to commute home or if you are going on holiday and are having too much fun to bother about washing each day. Can now get cheaper versions of Icebreaker which work just as well but aren't as trendy.
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Water-proof: For training rides, I don't worry so much about being water-proof, because I usually find more moisturte coming from the inside (i.e. sweating) than from the outside. So, I would agree with all the others who say that moisture-wicking materials (fast-drying, pulling moisture away from the body) are the best things for winter training, as well as materials that will keep you warm when wet.

I spent £120 on a simple Gill water-proof jacket (no pockets, no lining), hoping that would keep me warm and dry all through the Winter (and let's face it, Spring, Summer and Autumn) cold/wet training days and it didn't keep me dry. I wore it through the torrential rains this past Spring, and it really didn't keep me dry after the first 5 minutes out in a downpour. But, it did keep me warm (then again, so did my £60 Altura jacket with all the extra pockets and lining), and that made a difference.

I also find that it is sometimes more cost-effective to look in shops for Mountain climbing, skiing and general outdoor gear, as they will often have a better range of winter clothing at better prices (although you may not get the cycling-specific features, like a pocket on the back of the jacket, or an extra long tail to cover your butt, or what-not).
  • When it gets really wet and cold, to keep warm and dry, I find that the combination of a turbo trainer and good DVD works best!
  • dsk699dsk699 Posts: 20
    For baselayer Under Armour is, for me, simply unbeatable. I've worn it for skiing, cycling running in the alps- hot, cold any old weather type. Best I've used over Nike, Adidas, Ronhill etc.
  • How do you all keep your faces from getting to cold? When I go cycling while it's cold, the breeze against my face is just horrible.
  • Hi Scott

I suggested earlier about the vaseline on exposed skin - sounds wierd but it does help if you use plenty of it. Otherwise it's something you have to get used to. You can get masks to deal with the cold but their more for mountaineers and with the kind of heavy breathing that you do on a bike, they'd probably just get wet. Clear glasses at least keep the cold wind out of the eyes.

Anyone else got any cold face remedies?