Home Chat General Chat

Starting Out

Hi im looking to start out and im in need of a bike im 6ft1 and have about £350 to spend im finding it very difficult to find second hand bikes on line or in shops. i want to avoid ebay. Can anyone help? also anyone know of any triathlon in north yorkshire.

Cheers

Comments

• Hey Bear!!! I'm glad you asked this question because I'm in the same boat. I'll need to save more money to get a good bike, but I'm new too, and I need some advice on bikes too. I'm a female, 5'9, 130lbs.
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Hey Bear,

Im currently in North Yorkshire, near Bedale, where abouts are you based?

I know that regarding Triathlon in our area, if you join North Yorks Police tri club for around £15 you can swim in the Lake at Ripon for free longs that there is 2 or more people in at the same time....

Regarding your bike, have you tried Arthur Caygill up in Richmond im sure he would be able to give you loads of advice on a bike and i would have thought he would even be able to kit you up with abike for a very reasonable price... he is currently building me a custom fit full carbon TT Bike kitted with Full Dura Ace for £1500!!! [:)] i know thats not in your budget but as i said im sure he would cater for your budget too.

If your not too far away from the Bedale area and fancy doing some training in the local area let me know!!!

My email is [email=jason.walkley@tesco.net]jason.walkley@tesco.net[/email] [:D]
  • Please do be careful about buying a bike online, or any bike sight unseen, if you are just getting started. It is quite important to make sure that the bike you get right now is (a) the right size for you, (b) fitted properly for you [height of seat stem, position of seat, angle of seat, height of handlebars, angle of handlebars], (c) going to be well looked after, especially for last-minute tune-ups before a race. Therefore, I would strongly recommend that you get a bike from a local bike shop where the people know what they are talking about when it comes to road bikes.

You can buy some decent road bikes with a nice aluminum frame and some decent, if low-end, Shimano components that will serve you well through your training and into your first set of races. Raleigh, Saracen and Specialized all seem to have some decent lower-range road bikes available in the £300-350 price bracket, especially now that there are lots of "end of season" sales on.

As a New Yorker living in London, I naturally don't know anything about the world beyond a 20-mile radius of where I currently live, but I can see from the Evans Cycles web site that they have shops in York and Leeds and I think that is closer to you than Waterloo or Victoria, and they have some stormingly good deals on at the moment.

Another possible strategy is to find a friend who does know about road bikes, bribe him or her in some appropriate manner, and get them to advise you on the best bike you could buy on eBay (where I do all my bicycle shopping and, boy, can you get some amazing bargains if you really know what you're doing). But, it doesn't end there. You have to keep bribing your friend to come over and fit the bike to your comfort and measurements when it arrives. It is nerve-wracking, so don't do it if you don't have a lot of support in getting the bike fitted and repaired when (not if) things need tightening and adjusting after some time.