Home Chat General Chat

running after cycling

I've only taken up triathlon this year and really struggle with keeping up a good pace on the run when getting off the bike. This is probably very common but does anyone have any training tips to help me overcome this?

Comments

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    Practice!

It's unpleasant making your legs go from a pedalling motion to a running one but like most things it is easier if you practice it. Try going for a short run after your bike sessions or plan some combined bike/run sessions. It does get easier eventually.

Mike
  • It's my first year too. As MikeyB says, practice helps. Someone recommended short sharp sessions - such as 5k bike and 1k run, and doing that 3 times in a row. It helps practice your T2 and gets your legs used to the horrible feeling.

Aside from the legs, practicing helps get the right pace when you start the run. When I borrowed a GPS I found out that my pace off the bike was way too fast - which meant that after 5-10 minutes I was having to stop and walk as I had a massive oxgen deficit!

best of luck

matt
  • zoezoe Posts: 28
    I generally have two types of brick session.

Firstly, a long run after my weekly long cycle, all really low intensity and done all year round.

Secondly, just before and during race season, short sharp sessions like Matt suggested. We do 8-10 mins on the turbo at level 4 followed by 2km or 1km at race pace.

Unfortunately however much practice you do it still hurts!
  • Hi

As above practice...it still hurts but you will go faster.

I don't know if you use a gym but for me this is a convenient way to fit in 'brick' training. I often do spin classes and then run on the treadmill for five to fifteen minutes, with the gradient at 2 or 3.

There's nothing like the real thing though so a proper bike then run is still best.

• one tip I find quite useful is when your nearing the end of the bike in a race, get up off the seat in a high gear for a while, as it helps get the legs used to a bit of pressure and stretches the tendons a little. Cycling shortens the tendons, running stretches them, hence the feeling in your legs when you try to run after a long cycle. Hope this helps.
  • Yeah, when I get towards the end of the cycle ride, I will spend the last minute or two in an easier gear spinning at a much higher cadence than I've been racing at, to give some time for my thighs to breathe before my hamstrings take over. I, too, find that standing up in the seat helps get your legs make the transition from cycling to running, and also get the rest of your body get used to being out of the compressed, aerodynamic cycling position before you start moving around upright once more.

This past racing season I have done a lot more bike-run training sessions, one after the other, than I have in the previous 4 training seasons, and it has made a big difference to me. Practice, practice, practice.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    rpopper65 is right here above,

spinning the last two minutes of the bike sessionreally helps.

In training, when you run of the bike, dont do junk miles running. Then you will inhabit slow running, which is not what you want.

Instead; bike-2minutes spinning-run off the bike fast with good form-after a mile or two then you can slow down and keep running a while or cool down.

Do this every week(not in base period) and everything will go a lot easier already.

C-ya,

B.
  • All of the obove helped me but Its also worth looking at the mental side of things.... I keep telling myself this odd 'wobbly' leg feeling wont last forever and it doesn't.. 2 mins into the run my legs start feeling much better.

With about a mile to go on the cycle i stand up and extend my legs every now and then to stretch the the hamstrings and achillis, when i start my run i gradually work up to full race pace over the first 200/300m.

I find i run better during a race than i do in training for some reason maybe because my legs are warm.

My typical 'brick' session will be 2-3 mile flat cycle follow by 1mile run repeated 3 times with 4-5 mins rest, the run in the middle set will incorporate hills.

Brick training will help greatly but ultimately 'wobbly' legs will always be there its just a case of trust yourself to cope with it!