Home Chat General Chat

Results and pain!

news from "sunny Steyning" wouldn't it have been fun[:)]

The day started early and got wetter. Having never competed at tri before i was terribly nervous. Don't worry cos it's great.[;)]

The swim went well and i managed to exit the water without falling over. I was pleased that i could still breathe and managed to run into transition. Having laid everthing out carefully it was now all wet due to the rain, but i was wet anyway.[:D]

I had problems putting my bike shoes on, i got tangled up and had to take one shoe off and put it back on.[>:]

Running out of transition was ok but when i mounted the bike i mucked up getting my shoes in the clips. All that adrenaline does odd things to you.

The bike was brilliant, the hills were no problem and i just wanted more people to catch. Second transition was the same problem as 1st. I couldn't stand to put my run shoes on because i was getting cramping sensations in my calves, so i had to sit down, because of the temperature and the rain my fingrs and feet were numb and i found it difficult to manage my shoes and helmet release.

Out onto the run my calves were relly holding me back, they felt like they wanted to cramp for the first mile, and i was running flat footed becuse i couldn't feel my toes. As we got to the last mile i started to feel good about the run and managed to finish looking good and fast. (Gordon Ramsey has just finished the London marathon and they used that quote so i thought i could too)[;)]

I don't have my split times or even my finish time becuase i mucked up my watch start, and splits. I will post them soon, I do know though that it was sub 1:15

David

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    nice one david !!!!!!!

not that I am at all envious [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(] ( I have til june til my 1st race) although have a few 10km runs & open water mile swim race to break me in ... sounds like you still buzzing your face off - enjoy the moment as they say [:D][:D][:D]

chill relax walk to the pub sit in beer garden sup a few well earned pints

the mad one !!!!
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    wow David that's sounds pretty good!

What distance was that?

Please post your individual times when you get them.

You must be really chuffed. I can't wait now to do mine and Ive got to wait til August.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Well done David, what you've said all sounds very familiar (I lost my tri virginity three weeks ago).

Madnurse/Jojo, have you not got any tri's round your way before June/Aug you can have a crack at??????
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    iI have got my times and you are going to be as stunned as me[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

I am going to change my login, i will henceforth be known and answer only to "Duracell bunny"[:D][:D]

Swim including transition 1 = 8:50 including duff shoe section

Cycle including transition 2 = 35:50 including sitting down and removing and replacing shoe.

Run = 20:32

Total: 1:05:12[:D][:D][:D]

[8D]Call me slippery, ext time i'll get the b****dy shoes on first time.

David

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Great times matey. Well done

What wehere the distances?
    Sorry i should have said:

400m: 20Km: 5Km

next tie i want to go longer, have decided to go to IOW in September, but need to get another fix SOON![&:]

David
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    plenty up here mate if you wanna come and try some northern tri - ye adrenaline junkie

madnurse

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    mate,

1.05 is a bloody good time, i'd be happy with that any rainy sunday,

i do have one piece of valuable advice for you which i'm sure will improve your transition times............................. move down south...

well done

fat matt
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Excellent stuff ...

I have the same distance in 3 weeks (Strafford) I'll be lucky to get near that...

Nice one David..

It was sooooo much better than i had hoped but i have a sore calf today from the "almost" cramp. i think actually that it did cramp up and i just ran through it.

I got almost no sleep last night - i was still so high, having entered the pool as 101st fastest i finished as 35th place. Forget Love Triathlon is the drug[:D]

Nurse - How did you know i was an adrenalin junkie?[8|]

I would suggest that the one thing i have learned is that i need to practice transitions shoe replacement. I reckon i could have been a minute quicker if i had got it right.

The swim might be the worst section for some but it doesn't have to mean you can't be competitive. there is only 1-4 minutes to be gained in the swim but 15 on the bike and 10 on the run. Don't prioritise speed in the swim but efficiency, aim to leave the pool breathing! Get transitions sorted so that you breeze through in the minimum time and concentrate on the training for the bike and run. Speed and strength are essential for both, make sure that when you have your distance base you start putting speed or interval sessions in reguarly. For the bike find hils and keep sprinting up them.

David
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Right then; one question. Does it always hurt that much ;)!!

Sounds like you had a really good one as well DOTriharder! Congrats :D

Completed my first real tri yesterday down in Sevenoaks, sprint distance, 400m swim, 27km bike and 8km off road run. The weather was foul! The swim went really well and I excited the water feeling really good, no dizziness and not completely drained, transition went really well thought my extra layer was difficult to get on as I was wet so that slowed me down a touch. The bike was huge fun if deeply scary in places (huge down hills into tight hairpins on damp roads) which meant you had to be on the ball, saw quite a few accidents, I spent way to much time on my breaks! Plus I could barely see what with the constant rain. Despite that I was feeling really comfortable, and thankful I’d taken the extra time to put another layer on. By the time I got to the run I had lost the feeling in my hands and my feet were blocks of ice, but elastic laces and plenty of talc meant I was able to get my shoes on relatively easily. The run itself started well, son warmed up and hit a decent stride and was just starting to feel comfy when my body decided it didn’t want to play any more and went AWOL. Back cramped calves cramped and I ended up having to walk several hundred meters before getting back into my stride, oh and the run was nearly all off road as well so everyone was carting around huge lumps of clay on their shiny new trainers! Though the weather was great for running in, not to cold and the rain light enough to be refreshing :D I was glad to see the finish line though!

Swim 7:42

Bike 54:14

Run 42:57

Overall = 1hr 44mins 52 sec

And huge need to do another!
    Well Done, a good start, it sounds like your bike section was more undulating than mine. Good job there was no wind though.

I know the feeling about the calf cramp, is this a common problem with T2, must do more brick sessions.

Did they add T1 to the bike and T2 to the run?

The lack of warm-up before the swim doesn't stop you from getting right down to it does it?

Well done again, now back to training.

David
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Calf cramp: could be a T2 problem though it didn't effect me until a couple of km into the run. Potentially its caused by old muscle injuries and massage can help there, I've had problems in the past even on single session days in all three events (usually in the right calf) though I have a feeling for me it was more to do with the excitement and cold on the day as it hit both of them. Thinking about it it could be because my running techinque was changed from heel toe to toe heel.

Yeah, very thankful there was minimal wind, I have quite a deep side profile on the bike and that can be scary in a side wind!

I'm not sure if they added transition times or not, I think looking at my watch I was out of the pool at around 7:14 (but I didn't really check it what with the excitement/relief of having made it out of the pool alive) which would have made my T1 time around 30 secs which seems about right. T2 was slower and I have no idea of the time (someone had racked their bike in my place which was a little frustrating). Other than that and a wet top the transitions went really smoothly.