Home Chat General Chat

Winter training schedule...

Hi,

I'm new to triathlons and busy getting fit for next session, I've been looking around the tinterweb for a winter training schedules to improve fitness, strength and to lose weight. I'm hoping to improve in these areas so I can concentrate on speed in the spring leading up to my first race.

Has anyone brought one of these training schedules? Are they any good, can you recommend any. Or should I wait as there is bound to be something in 220 in the coming months. But I am very keen to start getting into a routine.

Thanks in advance

Grant

Comments

• Last year I bought Joe Friel's "The Triathlete's Training Bible", which is a pretty thorough (many have told me they found it too thorough, and a little daunting, but I love it and swear by it) book on training plans. If you are ready to make the commitment, now would be a good time to buy it, get stuck in and start planning your training plan in a few weeks' time.

I do not follow everything in the book religiously, and I can sometimes cut corners because that's just my life and my time constraints, but I find the book to be packed full of useful insights, helpful reminders and valuable tips. I kept going back and re-reading some sections over this past year, just to remind myself of key points, say, in the final couple weeks before a race, or the night before a race, or when I was feeling a little worn out and over-stretched. Worked for me every time.

• The Triathlete's Training Bible

Thanks rpopper65, sounds perfect...
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    A book I've found really useful is "SERIOUS Training for Endurance Athletes" by Rob Sleamaker and Ray Browning. It isn't tri specific but gives good advice on programming and takes you from the very basics through to more complex year planning.

David.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I bought the double dvd science of triathlon by Joe Friel and Wes Hobson. 9 hours of info givven by men who know what they talk about. You can learn a lot in this!

As for winter practise, thats an easy on if you are new to tri; go easy, always a bit longer, no speeding and enjoy. Throw in some speed in at early spring and you'll run past yourself in your first season. Dont spend too much money on training plans, first see if you really get hooked after your first race.

Thats my thought

greetz,

Benny V.