Home Chat General Chat

Heart rate monitors

I've done a search but it doesn't look as though this has been discussed for a while. Are there any recommendations at present? I've been looking at what's available and I'm completely befuddled!

Comments

• I can't recommend Suunto enough. Easy to use, great connectivity(if thats a word). If you have the cash check them out. I think the Suunto 4 has a coach application which is pretty cool. I've got the dualathon package which costs, but comes with bike and foot pod, heart rate monitor and software to chart your progress.
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    Suunto watches look like great pieces of kit and from my own experience you can't go far wrong with Polar. They have a large range, so it's just about deciding what functions you want from your HRM and how much you want to spend. I find being able to download my workouts really useful, but you pay for it.

David.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    I've got a Polar & I'm really chuffed with it. I'd recommend them.
  • TheMonkTheMonk Posts: 10
    I've had my Polar F11 for a few years now and apart from it resetting one session as a rattled down a rather bubby track on my Mountain bike it's been no trouble. Uploading sessions to the website is easy and free and I was impressed with speed or service when the battery ran down in the wrist unit.

To be fair I haven’t come across anyone who has had major gripes with any HRM’s. I got mine because it was cheap.
  • Thanks for the comments. I feel kindly disposed towards Garmin because I've used one of their GPS boxes for hillwalking for the last couple of years and it's performed well. Looking at prices I think I'll find an excuse to visit New York some time and do some shopping :lol:
  • I have a Timex Ironman Triathlon 30 lap watch/HRM but am having the HR jump to 240 and at some point back to normal then again to 240. Thought I'd licked it by putting gel on the terminals. It was OK on the bike but problem has returned on a run. Anyone getting same problem and know the cure? I have tried replacing the sensor battery.

I am puzzled as to how the sensor turns on or off. The instructions say the battery will last for a "year" if used for an hour a day. Does the watch part send a signal to the sensor? If you don't turn off the HRM from the watch how does the sensor know when to turn off.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I don't want to change the subject, but I don't have a HR-monitor. I know nothing about these things i always trained without them. Does it really help a lot, is it money well worth invested???