Home Chat Race Chat

IM Switzerland 2008

Thought I'd get this thread started. Anyone else doing this? If so get your thoughts/worries/hopes down here.

For me this will be my 2nd IM race. Completed UK 2007 in a very pleasing time of 10.44 (I could have and should have gone under 10.30 but thats another story). Looking forward immensely to doing IMCH as have been told lots of positive stuff by others who have completed the race.

Comments

• JohnaJohna Posts: 27
    Yeah. I'm doing IMCH. It's my first IM - like you I've heard lots of good things about it. Glad to find someone else doing it. Have you seen the video of the 2007 race on You-Tube - awesome!

Do you yet know what races you'll be doing leading up to IMCH? I'm looking for a 1/2IM distance race at the end of May(ish).
  • Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    Hi Johna

Was beginning to think that no one else from the 220 forum was going to be doing it. Yea have seen the video. Agree awesome.

As far as 1/2IM distance is concerned I am going to be doing the Marazion Middle on the 18th May. I've done it for the last 2 years. Although a small race (I think there were about 140 competitors this year) its well run, with timing chips and a friendly bunch organising it. Its a fast course with an undulating bike and flat run. Its on my doorstep so is perfect for me. This year the weather was perfect - very little wind and perfect sea swim. Last year (the first year it was run) was awful weather. Very strong westerly gales, rain and a shortened swim because of the surf (all good fun). Tempted?

Another race you might want to thik about is Weymouth around the beginning of July. I've not raced it but know a couple of guys who have and they were impressed.

Not sure what else I am going to be doing race wise. Probably a couple of other shorter tris but not too much. I am really going to focus on IMCH this coming year. Determined to get a good time.

Anyway, happy training and keep the updates going here.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Hi Tim/John. John, there's a new middle distance at the beginning of June in the New Forest, follow the link. Race New Forest always put on a good show.

http://www.racenewforest.co.uk/2008.htm
  • NickNick Posts: 66
    i'm down to do this one. and i'm BRICKING IT!! its also full now. will be spending most of the winter on my bike me thinks. good training everyone[:D]
    Hi Nick.

No need to worry. Just make sure you get a good winter and sprig of steady intelligent training and I am sure you will be fine.

Anyone booked flights and accommodation yet? As yet I haven't. Was looking at Nirvana Travel for packages as they took all hassle out of it. They are more expensive though. Anyone know of any good convenient hotels?
    Hi Nick,

I've already booked with Nirvana inc. flights, accommodation and transfers, as you say it takes away all the hassle. Let me know if you're going to use Nirvana and if your interested in a room share? I've been quoted £540 single and £385 for two people sharing. Quite a saving!
    sorry to cross forums but there is some info regarding IMCH travel/lodgings on tritalk.
  • waggywaggy Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I am doing IM Switzerland next year with a few other members from Oxford Tri.

I have booked my flights with BA for a cost of £85 each (no extra charge for a bike box).

I have also booked the Marriot hotel in Zurich for 4 nights in a family room for 3 people at a total cost of £435.

Hope this helps and good luck with the winter training.
  • Morning,

I'll be doing this one!!! Cant wait. started training and its going to be a killer getting up heartbreak hill... but i've heard other than that its a really flat course!!! I'm panicking more about the mass start for the swim!!!! I'm looking for a sub 12 hour time!!! Havent booked travel yet but doing that in January. I've just found out i'll be doing the Marathon Des Sables in 2009 to so its one challenge after another!!!!

Chris

Moons
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Hi guys you may or may not be aware but a few of us did this for IMCH 2007, its all posted on general chat and it will be a few pages back. It ended up being a private blog on a public forum! But anyway I think we all found it very helpfuland supportive. I even met SteveO and have been in contact with him. Best of luck to you all I found it ok until the run when I realised that my nutrition plan was INADEQUATE and I died a million deaths but I finished it and I did not walk, stop or quit! I think you have enough time to arrange your own accommadation, Nirvana were good but as I say on the Hotel Database thread on General Chat if I were or when I do it again I'll book everything by myself. Anyway have to go now best of luck to you all and keep this thread going all year.
    hi all. how's the training going? mine stalled(back injury) but back on track now(it's all realative though). looking to enter the new forest middle(june 2008) as prep for IMCH. happy training all. still to book travel/hotel[sm=rolleyes.gif]
    Hi Nick/Hi All.

I'm just doing easy training - working on swim and stength training at present. Will wait until new year before getting serious. See your looking at doing new forest middle (june 08). I've confirmed my entry at UK 70.3 Wimbleball for mid June 08 also as prep for IMCH. Not sure now if it was the right thing to do - so close to IMCH?!?[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m12.gif[/image]

Bestest training all.
    hi johna. i am indeed looking at doing the newforest tri. looked at wimball but far too hilly. not good on hills. good training.
    Hi all.

Training is going ok. I am in mid taper run wise for the Cornish marathon a week tomorrow. Lots of hills!!! My cycling has been ticking over with a couple of 50 ish milers lately. Swimming I have been really focusing on technique. I am following the Total Immersion program, which has been mainly drill so I feel really swim unfit at the moment. Stroke is looking better at least.

I am going to do the Marazion Middle at the end of May for my half. I have done the event for the last 2 years and very much like it.

Not booked flights or accommodation yet - I think I will be doing that this week.

Good training everyone.
    hi all hope the bad weather not getting you down and are still managing to train. virtually done no swimming to speak of, mainly ticking over with cycle/turbo and runs to work. looking at various events to prep for IMCH . will hopefully do southwell sprint, new forest middle, london oly, blithfield oly, derby sprint, nottingham sprint and of course IMCH. train hard train happy[:D]
    Hi all.

Training is going well. I had a good marathan (3.04). Obviously I have now cut back a little on the mileage (well quite a lot actually). My swimming is coming together more now. I am now swimming the full TI stroke which feels good. Managed 2km straight in the pool last saturday and felt good. Still ticking over with the cycling although I would like to get out for a few longer rides. This weekend for definite. I have also started doing some weights each week (squats, bench, lat pull down... multi joint exercises). All in all pretty good so far.

Hope you all have a good Xmas and manage to get some traing done over the festive period.
  • BenwatBenwat Posts: 11
    hi everyone, a mate and myself are doing imCh as well, we are having trouble finding hotels near by as we have small kids. our concern is getting there in the morning on public transport, those of you who have done this before whats the public transport like? and what distance is a safe distance from the start?

cheers conehead thats ans some questions for us, happy training everyone.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hi did IMCH in 03 and 04 and found that some of the Hotels ,particularly the ones that did a special deal for competitors in the race did have some transport laid on in the morning so ask you may be lucky,the most isolated part is where the pasta party is held so best of luck,I see they have gone for a 2 lap bike course this year so you only get to go up 'Heartbreak' twice.
    pretty glad that "only" have to face heartbreak hill twice. how's the new year training going?
    Hi all,

Just registered for the Marazon middle tri as part of my IMCH training. I'm following Don Fink's 'IronFit' training plan and the Marazon fits perfectly in my training plans. Never swam in open sea and looking at the pictures from 2006 I think I must be mad! Anyone else doing Mazaron in May?

Also looking to do the 3.8km open water swim in early June organised by VOTWO. It's a mass start and ideal practice for IMCH.

Hope everyone's training is going well.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I am thinking of doing marazion middle tri for IMCH build up, not sure yet though as its a long trek down from the midlands, was originally planning on Bala or Weymouth, but having qualified for world sprint champs will be in Canada first week of june.
    Hi all.

All being well (my wife is expecting our second child around the end of May/beginning of June so I could be very unlucky) I should be there for Marazion. I've done it for the last 2 years and it is a great race. John you will be fine for the swim. Admittedly 2 years ago was a little hectic as the weather was pretty grim. However last year was perfect. the swim was amazing - flat calm and clear blue! If you have not swum before in the open sea it may be useful to get a little experience in before the race even if it the day before the event. Some thought it was a little cold last year, although most of the locals like myself had been regularly swimming for at least a month before the race so we had a slight advantage there.

My training seems to be going well. Really enjoying it as well as a few local road running races down here. Went for a 4 hour cycle last weekend which felt ok. Made it pretty hilly for myself (nothing but hills down here). I have a 10k race this weekend, although I might try and get out on the bike for a few hours in the afternoon afterwards (it will loosen the legs out nicely).

Happy training all.
    Bathtub what part of the midlands are you from?

I have moved down from Leicester to cornwall, was part of leicester tri. Also doing marazion and imch. Also got a mate in leicester doing it as well.

Conehead would love to enter some 10k races but have no idea of running club race in the area, any advance notice would be appreciated.
    Sorry conehead I ment Tim D
    Hi Benwat

I've been meaning to mail you. The race this wekend (this morning in fact) is the Mounts Bay 10k. Its part of the Cronish Grand Prix series (14 races over the year). The Mounts Bay is a very popular one and the limit was reached months ago (400 runners). The next one I will be running is the Duchy 20 in March. I know it may be slightly early to be running that distance, but I got a friend coming down who wants to use the race as prep for the FLM. Thought I'd keep him company.

For all the details of upcoming races in the area (there are loads, not just the grand prix) check out:

http://www.mountsbayharriers.org.uk/

This will give you all the road races, tris and duathlons...

There is also a Cronwall Road Running site:

http://www.cornwallroadrunning.co.uk/

By the way I will be out next Sunday for a long ride if you fancy it. Give me a mail. Note - the e mail address you have is my wife's. I will mail you my own.

Happy training.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    [quote]ORIGINAL: Benwat

Bathtub what part of the midlands are you from?

Burton-on-Trent

Hi all,

Thanks Tim D for the comments about open sea swimming. I will go out for a paddle the day before Marazon. Reading all the posts it looks like Marazon has become the pre IMCH training race.

Training going well - keeping it at 10/11 hours. Decided not to do any races until April (Cambridge Duathlon).

Hope everyone's training is going well.
    North cornwall tor 100 k or 160k £25 entance fee cycle sportive if you want to add this one to your training plan 20/4/08 should be a good tester.
    thanks tim thats great think i might join you on that 20, will have to check whats happaning i'm off to sardina in march to a training camp so not sure of return dates. will keep you posted.