Home Chat General Chat

Annoying chain noise...

I am relatively new to the world of Duathlon (completed my first two and have thoroughly enjoyed them both!) and decided to purchase an entry level road bike to at least be in with a chance of a decent time. After some research I opted for the Specialized Allez Triple, and I am generally pleased with it..... apart from some annoying clicking noises from the front or back cogs (depending on how it is set up) caused by the angle of the chain according to the retailer who seems genuine enough. Is it me or is this a major design fault? Can anything be done? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    When is this noise occuring? If the retailer is talking about chain angles then I suspect it is maybe when you are in high gear (biggest cog) on the chainrings and low gear (also biggest cog) on the freewheel or the reverse combination.

I tend to not use these combinations but I do admit that its a bit of a flaw because you are basically reducing the number of gears your bike has.

That said if I need to move into these combos I find it better to move into the middle chainring.

• Thanks Loonytoon,

You're right it normally occurs when it is on the front big ring and likewise on the back, although it can happen when on the front middle and rear large. I guess I'll need to learn how to best use the range of gears at my disposal........

Lukey Boy
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    no probs...my bike's instruction told me not to use those combos ...
  • ChrisChris Posts: 17
    You want to keep your chain as straight as possible so you don't lose power efficiency.