Home Chat General Chat

What do I do ????

Have wanted to do a triathlon for a while now but never got around to it, life just seems to get in the way !!

I'm a member of a running club and have done a few marathons, halfs etc so not worried about this aspect but more than a bit worried about the swim. Apparently the cycling is easy !!!, or so my uneducated friends seem to think.

Been doing some research on line with regards to bikes, equipment etc but seems to be endless amount of choice, what not to purchase and what I can't live without, please help !!??!!

Looking to spend around £500 on a bike which I believe will get me a basic entry level bike, quite like the look/sound of the Trek 1000 (i think !!) If anyone could recommend or not recommend another manufacturer would be appreciated.

With regards to a wetsuit apparently these can be hired or even purchased and then sold back (all be it at a reduced price). Or is it worth just buying one outright ?? Again, any advice would be great.

And finally, choosing that all important first Triathlon. I live in Southampton so if anyone could recommend a "beginners" event that is relatively close to the area would be great.

It's all down to you guys now the longer it takes to get a response the longer I let life get in the way !!!

Comments

• Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • I'm just looking at starting out in triathlon and need some work on my swimming and running which i'm now sorting out. What i would say about the bike is that Bopomofo is spot on with the Valour from Halfords. I've been biking for a few years only really keeping fit and stopping me getting to over weight but i only had £300 to spend and bought a valour and it's pretty spot on it gets me round a 25 miler in about 58 mins. Could do with a larger chainring and smaller cassette but for the money it's good. Just need to be fit and powerful and you can push it round fast.
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    I'd like to jump back in there and agree with some of the other comments from bopomofo (not pinyin?) and sra521: the shameful, guilty secret of the good value of Halford's Carrera & Valour bikes is out in the open, now. Halford's top-of-the-line bikes are as good as or better than (especially when they are on sale in these cold, wet winter months) the bottom-of-the-line Treks and Giants. So, they do make excellent value bikes (speaking as an owner of a Carrera MTB with a nice frame, nice front fork, disk brakes and decent gearset I got on sale last year for £299).

With bopomofo doing 1:10 at London on his entry-level bike, he was faster than me in 2/3 of my races this year, with me on my shiny, sleek Felt S32 tri-specific bike.

And, I'd also like to agree with everyone on the importance of training. The biggest improvement I made on my bike performance this year was to train better, smarter and with a plan. My improved race times this year were the direct result of me sticking to the plan, training hard and training smart. I also noticed that the races I did on routes I had done before were my fastest, while the ones that were first-time experiences were my slowest. So, clearly, practice and experience count as major factors, too, perhaps because it gives you confidence, which gives you the ability to focus and be efficient, rather than wasting precious energy on worrying where the next turn is and stuff.

That goes doubly for swimming. Training in all kinds of conditions, mimicking the conditions you might encounter on race day. Come spring-time next year, I bet you will see lots of postings from new triathletes talking about the panic, hyperventilation and freezing up they experience in the swim section of their first few races (or anyone, no matter how experienced, who swam at the Urban Racer Brighton Triathlon this year). Confidence is what will get you through smoothly and efficiently, and confidence comes from practice and experience.

So, get out there and practice and get some experience, and you will naturally become more confident.
  • This is a great thread!

I have been persuaded to give a tri a go and a friend has requested my attendance (OK, she has said that she will break my legs if I don't turn up) at one in May next year.

I used to swim competatively (20 years ago) and still have a reasonable speed, but not the stamina. I have started Masters sessions at my gym to get me back into it.

I also run - not fast, but I am happy doing up to 10 miles and train 2-3 times a week with a runniing club.

My weak point is the cycling and I too don't have a bike, but live in Portsmouth, so the previous advice about bike shops is useful (thanks Bopomofo). I plan to follow some of that up at the weekend.

So on the surface of it I am well set up for this. But my problem is the fear of the unknown. I don't know anything about the gear, the best way of doing the transitions, how to combine the training etc. I'm not sure that I have the time to join a tri club, so is there any other way of finding out about all these things - preferably including a practical session, that would put my mind at ease?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    SuperCaz: Masters swimming class AND running club. Very serious! Where are you swimming? Can you recommend it?

Regarding your cycling, while you are deciding which bike to buy you can enjoy using the machines at the gym. Alternate a 20min intervals program on the exercise bike with a 20min treadmill program. I like(?) to do 2 sets of each for a 1:20 workout. This will start to get your legs used to the transition.

For the bike: don't bother getting worked up about the decision. Most cyclists have kit which is far better than they can really justify - although there is huge appeal in getting really nice gear - so just make sure it has 2 wheels and 18 or 20 gears. Also, you need integrated shifters (ie built into the brake levers) and drop bars, then get some cheap shimano pedals - I use tiny mountain bike pedals which have a cleat on each side so I don't have to bother about which way up the pedal is. Posh road pedals are far more expensive, more streamlined, and would probably save me about 3 milliseconds on my bike time. Cleated pedals and shoes are SO important. Tri-bars aren't essential at first... you need to really know your bike, your legs, and how the two work together (i.e. what gear will you need for any given situation, how many up/down do I need to shift etc) before you start trying to steer with your elbows.

For transitions and what to do on race day: I started out by just turning up and having a go. I'm sure my first EVER transition involved a towel before I put my t-shirt on. I also had safety pins for my race number which I had cleverly used to pin the back of my shirt to the front. Very funny.

Avoid all this by buying a race belt and a one or two piece tri-suit. Err... you already have running shoes, so that's the end of the kit list.

I can really only repeat my recommendation to do a sprint tri to get the hang of transitions, and also to see what the atmoshpere is like on race day. Where are you planning on racing in May? Olympic or sprint? There's a Concept Sport sprint on 6th April (location TBC) to get you started.

I found 'Swim, Bike, Run' by Wes Hobson et al. to be a great help, though I'm sure there are other books. Simply reading and practising the advice in the section on cycling over hills knocked about 10 minutes off my bike times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swim-Bike-Run-Wes-Hobson/dp/0736032886/ref=sr_1_3/203-6256229-5804761?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191496274&sr=8-3

Let's keep the conversation going! Also you can PM me if you need local advice.

Cheers,

Gary
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • I've taken the first step and visited my local bike shop. They were great at giving me all the information that I need, telling about the different types of bikes (never heard of Hybrids before) and explaining what the difference in prices and features are.

They then refused to sell me a bike, but told me to go home and read all the bumf that they gave me, then come back once I knew what I wanted and what I was prepared to pay. Couldn't ask for more really. I was expecting some pressure selling, but was amazed that they would refuse to sell me something on the spot!

So I now think that I want a hybrid and am weighing up the options with the various features. Hopefully I will be in a position to go back to the shop on Saturday and get something that suits me.

Also did my first proper Masters session on Friday- previous weeks had been cancelled because of holidays, but some of the group had met up and done their own stuff anyway, and I tagged along. I was amazed at how well I did considering it has been so long since my last proper swimming session. I even managed to fit in one or two tumble turns and was one of the faster swimmers in the group.

Also did my first Half Marathon on Sunday. I came last, but I enjoyed it and can't wait for my next race. Can't move today though, so I think I might need to take a few days off from exercise.
    Excellent stuff, Supercaz! I'd love to be able to even contemplate a half-marathon, but the farthest I've ever run is just about 10 miles...

Oddly, though, my running speed in a tri (i.e after getting off my bike) is about the same as when I just go running by itself. Probably an indicator that I've got some improvement to make, so I'm working on that and I've put my name down for the famously fast Stubbington 10k on 13th January. Should be a fun start to the year! I know the roads involved quite well, and I was looking at the map thinking "Blimey, that's a long way! Did I really run that distance in a Tri?"

rpopper has it just right. Feeling good about yourself, your progress and what you're doing is the real benefit. I've had month (-ish) of being fairly relaxed by normal standards following the London Tri, and I was starting to feel a bit... well... soft. I'm glad to be building the training up again now: general well-being, attitude and vitality seems to build up with it.

Plus, you get that fantastic 'On top of the world' feeling when you cross the finish line. I must confess that I was so pleased when I crossed the line in London (my first full distance tri) that I felt rather emotional for a minute or two. All a bit ungentlemanly, really.

I, too, am happy to know that I'll never be a contender in the Elite, or my age group, although I secretly reckon I'll go under 2:30 one day next year, and I'd like to get a really high place in the swim for just one event. So long as when I cross the line I know that given my age, natural abilities (or lack thereof) and the amount of training I've managed to squeeze in around other stuff in my life that I have done my absolute best, given it everything, no way could I have gone quicker.

Seeing as we're sharing our 'Why Tri?' stories: I'd been a very amateur swimmer for years, never entered competitions or anything, but I was reasonably good on account of being a bit analytical about my technique. I was also going to the gym a fair bit, and when my local gym (Hampshire Tennis Club) organised a almost-sprint triathlon (400m/20km/5km) I thought it must be worth a go. I'd always been really impressed by the people who could do triathlons, and thought that since I would find the swim easy, could probably cope with the run, and thought any fool could stay on a bike for 20km I entered it. Mainly, it was the fact that it looked like a cool challenge, and the bragging rights would be amazing... "Yeah, yeah, so I've just done a triathlon. Dead easy."

So... with a pair of over-inflated slicks on my mountain bike and the extension bars inverted to make a basic pair of drops - don't laugh - I was off. I was fast in the swim, realised that my mountain bike was NOT a good idea, then dearly died when I discovered the exquisite pain of the bike-run transition when you haven't trained for it. Out of 90 people I converted my 5th place in the swim into 84th place overall, but I was HOOKED. With so many areas to improve on who wouldn't rise to the challenge?

Had a year out when I was working overseas, did three sprints in '05, more sprints in '06, and this year was my first year of getting back to taking it seriously again, and also my first Olympic.

To give you some measure of how I judge my progress... I came 233rd out of 468 finishers (2:38:04) in my age group in London. I was incredibly pleased with this, as for my first time ever I beat half the other people out there! Hooray! I am now officially a 'better than average' triathlete.

Keep having fun, maybe see you at a local event!
  • Thanks for telling us your story Bopompfo. It's always nice to hear that everyone suffers from the same problems and that I am not alone (although logically I knew that anyway).

I'm doing Stubbington too this year. I did it for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Also has the advantage of only being about 10 min drive from my house, so I can get home and showered before catching a chill.

I had only got up to 10 miles in training before the Half too, so if you wanted to do one you probably could, but set your target to 'getting round' rather than 'get a good time'. I had intended to get up to 12 miles in training, but injury put me behind in the planning plan so I had to make do with what I had done already.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Here is my tuppence worth ... You will go better with better kit but what the hell get the best kit you can get and learn its pros and cons and as you get more money turn the cons into pros. To my mind the best thing about triathlon is everybody supports and "loves" you, nobody judges you, and all the guys are happy to share their expeiences with you!
  • Put a deposit down on a bike at the weekend - pick it up next weekend. Don't think I will get a chance to go out for a couple of weeks though, because I have too much else planned. But at least I have made a start
    New bike, Supercaz? Go on... tell us... what did you get?

Good deal? Good advice in the shop? Will they fit the bike for you? Have you gone for tri bars, clip ons, road bars? What sort of pedals, shoes, computer.... all the details.

Sorry.... I don't get much of a budget for tri purchases, so I have to go 'shopping by proxy'. Always nice to hear somebody has got some new kit! [:D]
  • I'm not sure whether I got a great deal, but the price seemed reasonable and I don't mind paying a little extra for good advice, as long as it's not grossly overpriced. Where possible I prefer to support my local shops and this one has the advantage that it is only 1.5k from home (I measued it as I ran past yesterday), so if I have any problems I can walk it back to the shop.

I'm not great at remembering details, which is why I didn't post them the first time but it's a Claud B.... Urban 300 Hybrid - smallest frame because I am a shortarse. I know that it's not the worlds fastest bike or anything, but it will do as a starter bike for me.

I'm going to stick with a basic bike to begin with because I need to get confident before I start trying to actually ride it anywhere. To be honest I was a little nervous just sitting on it in the shop! I can get fancy pedals, handlebars etc at a later date. At the moment tri bars would frighten me as I feel much more stable sitting upright, but the height is adjustable so I can lower them as I get more confident.

When I pick it up I will have a look at accessories, but as I have nothing I think I will be looking at basics such as a helmet, drinks bottle and holder, lights, comfy saddle etc. Proper tri accessories can come later.

Now, where is the best place to buy cycle shorts? I have lycra shorts for running, but I want something padded to protect my huge bum on that tiny sadle. The shop I went to didn't look the best for clothes and the only other place I know of is JJB sports, which I doubt will have anything at all.

Good on you for taking the plunge and getting a bike, any bike, and starting to get out there and ride.

For cycling shorts, you go to a cycling shop (or shop online - but it's a good idea to find a place where you can try on a few different types before you buy, as one brand's small is not the same as another brand's small and it can make a big difference to you if you feel comfortable in your first pair of cycling shorts). Is this place convenient for you? http://www.dhcyclesport.com/

With winter coming, you may also want to get some warm/water-proof clothing (a long-sleeved jacket, some full-finger gloves, maybe a longer pair of cycling shorts or bib shorts), if you've got the budget.
  • Thanks rpopper, the shop is not overly convenient, but I don't mind going out of my way occassionally to get what I need and I can always get stuff on-line once I know what I want. Might be a few weeks before I get there because I am doing a lot of running at the moment (Denmead 10k this weekend, Great South Run next weekend) so don't have a lot of spare time.
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Wow! what a thread this is!!I am going to come back and read in detail when I have a bit more time.

I only have a couple of simple points at the minute. re original post...I have now done two triathlon seasons on my Trek1000 (standard, olympic and half IM) and highly recommend it, great bike for the money. I am planning an upgrade sometime and am sure I will look forward to getting on my 1000 for winter training.

Once you get a few tri's under your belt mangel, you will soon find triathlon getting in the way of life!!! lol. Enjoy
  • mangelmangel Posts: 20
    just like to thank everyone on their advice and comments which have come about due to my original post.

I've just put down deposit on new bike (Trek 1.2), unfortunately have to wait until end of November for delivery !!! Went to local bike shop (peter handsford) which i believe was recommended by Bopomofo, thanks !! They knew their stuff and were very helpful.

have also booked a course of swimming lessons in local pool to improve technique, breathing etc. my swimming will be my weakest discipline which I guess is the same for alot of beginners but willing to put the effort in !!

been looking around (internet) for details on events for next year but only appear to get info on the bigger events. any advice on where to get info on smaller events suitable for beginners in my area (hampshire but willing to travel further) would be great.

is it worth going along to a triathlon as a spectator to see what goes on especially in transition before i actually take part in one ? i guess it will help combat those first race nerves ?!!?

as i've no bike and waiting for the swimming lessons (before I get to involved in the swim training) been keeping the running ticking over. doing the BUPA great south run next weekend and booked up for a couple of half marathons next year. also entered the London marathon again after completing it this year for the third time and vowing never to do it again !!! why do we do these things ??? surely i can remember the pain !!!

i guess the running will need to be cut down once I start the bike and swimming ?!

keep the thread going there has been some valuable comments and advice to this beginner starting out on his quest for glory ! or should that be doomed to failure ?

[:)]
    Welcome back, mangel. Glad to hear you've got the bike sorted. I would heartily recommend you put some 'proper' pedals on it and get some shoes... learn properly from the outset. It normally only takes one or two falling-off moments for you to remember how to get you feet off the pedals properly, and you'll be thankful of the stability and extra power while you are getting used to your new toy.

Regarding local small events, check the Concept Sport link in my original post. The sprint events for early next year are:

Fast Twitch Triathlon - Location TBC Sun 6 April

Winchester Fast Twitch Triathlon Sun 20 April

Dorchester Fast Twitch Triathlon Sun 11 May

Salisbury Fast Twitch Triathlon Sun 25 May

Winchester would probably suit you, as the run is reasonably long for a sprint. Regarding spectating: if you live really close to one, and you are injured or completely unfit then yes, go and watch. Otherwise, instead of watching the athletes in transition and thinking "Oh... that's no trouble at all" you might as well be having a go yourself. I'm all for learning on the job, so give it a go.

Just spend a bit of time thinking about what you need for each transition, get you kit into a bag or box and take it to transition, then lay your stuff out onto a small towel etc and you are ready.

If it helps: I have a full Lucozade bottle already on my bike & one OPENED next to my bike. Small towel with running shoes on (upside down if it looks like rain), running socks on top of shoes (or underneath if it looks like rain...) pre-filled with talc. Hat resting upside down on handle bars with straps separated (right way up for rain), number belt hanging over bars, shoes already clipped onto pedals with velcro straps fully opened. Job done. Remember your goggles, and take your track pump in the car to squeeze those vital extra few PSI into your tyres before you rack your bike... unless you are doing the Salisbury Sprint Tri, in which case soften them off a bit because the roads are painfully crap, or take a mountain bike!

T1: Drop goggles onto towel, put number belt (number facing backwards) & hat on, glasses on if very sunny, glug of lucozade, grab bike and run to start box. Get up to speed with feet on top of shoes, then reach down and pull feet into shoes.

T2: Feet out of shoes on the way towards the end of bike stage. Chuck bike in rack, hat off. Socks then shoes on, glug of lucozade, leggit. Spin number belt around (number facing front for run) on the way to the run-start timing box.

Don't get too concerned about the transitions. Practice beforehand, sure, but view it as a learning process. Sprints are a great intro, like I've said above.

Yes, you'll probably need to cut down your running :-) It is far too easy to concentrate on your best sport - I tend to swim too much - but you need to re-focus on where your biggest gains will come. Initially that will be your swimming, because at this stage you may well be struggling just to complete the distance, then you need to learn to do it efficiently (not necessarily quickly). Once you can swim properly, you'll make your biggest gains on the bike. Oh, and keep the running going. And the swimming. And practice transitions.

I'm working on my running for the next three months, and just doing maintenance swimming and cycling.

Have fun!
  • Collected my bike on Saturday I rode it the 2k back to my house.

Oh dear. I have a long way to go. By the end of the journey I was getting confident on the straights, but I can't turn corners! How embarrassing is that! I just don't have the confidence to lean into the corners but I know that I have got to learn to do it.

I think I will keep going for short rides every weekend until I feel more confident before I try to work on my speed or stamina.

(I can't believe that I am admitting this!)
  • mangelmangel Posts: 20
    Again, thanks for the advice Bopomofo.

Have now found the Concept Sports website and looking to enter Winchester & probably Salisbury too. Think I prefer the idea of my first event being one with a pool swim, as i'm not a particularly confident swimmer. Open water swimming at the moment looks pretty daunting !!!!

This may sound like a stupid question, but what do you wear for the pool swim ? as I know wetsuits are not allowed.

In preparation for my swim lessons, doing some research on goggles. Any advice welcome. I'm guessing the cheap pair of speedo's purchased on holiday are not going to cut it !!

Aquaspheres are pretty fantastic, big goggly things that don't dig into your eye sockets as much as the smaller speedos, and they give you better periferal vision (which is useful for open water, maybe not so important with pool swimming). For sprint distance races, you're not in the water as long as the longer races, so you will probably be fine wearing any swimming goggles that are comfortable and fit you well. I used the more top-end (not the cheapest ones at around £6 but the nicer ones around £9) speedo goggles for the first two years of sprint and Olympic distance training and racing and they were fine. Although, once I moved up to the Aquaspheres, I've never gone back to the smaller ones.

For a pool swim you can wear any sort of a swimsuit, but to ease your movements through the transitions, it would be a good idea to get a trisuit (either one-piece or two-piece; one-piece is very comfortable, stops the bottom half from riding down on the bike ride, but sometimes gets tight in the shoulders by the time you get to the run, and can be annoying to deal with on those pre-race visits to the toilet, but I like them). It will have more padding in the seat than a swimsuit, but not so much as cycling shorts, so they dry quicker.

It is usually required that you wear a swim cap in the swim section, so make sure you wear one when you train so you get used to it.
    Got to agree with rpopper about the Aquasphere goggles. The Seal XP hybrid goggle/mask is great for open water, providing they match your face shape. Unfortunately, mine don't... tenner anyone? [:D]

The wide angle Aquasphere Kaimans are my current faves. Very good seal, good visibility and adjusters that actually work and don't slip.

Having said that,

Looks like rpopper has covered the 'what to wear' question, too. I wear a two-piece, personally. I think this is because I started off with some swim/cycle shorts (waterproof padding in the arse) and with pulling on a t-shirt in T1. Then I was too tight to ditch them and go for the full suit, so I got a separate top instead. Or it could be that I'm not happy enough with my body-image to wear a tri-suit... Maybe I'll get one when I wear my shorts out. And lose a stone or two.

I've not yet had to wear a hat in the pool swims, but I hear it does happen from time-to-time and they can feel odd at first. For £3 it's worth getting one to practice in.

Supercaz: glad to hear you've got the bike. It can feel very wobbly and a very long way up at first. Enjoy the learning process!

See you all at the Winchester and Salisbury sprints?

• I've put the dates in my diary Bopomofo, but I'm not ready to commit yet. Do these events book up early?
    Well, I'm sure tempted to give it a go, if only to meet a few people from TriTalk, compare our latest gadgets and encourage each other along (or, more to the point, be encouraged by bopomofo as he whizzes past me and I wonder why I spend so much money on my bike). It does sound like an interesting event with the super-sprint-length 400m swim, the nearly-Olympic 20 mile bike ride and the nearly-Olympic 6 mile run. Also, I have some friends who live right down the road from the venue, who might put me up for the weekend (or put up with me, I'm not sure which). It looks like a good, fun, local event to do half-way between the monster-sized events of Windsor and London.

I wouldn't worry about the race filling up too early, as the conceptsport.co.uk web site doesn't appear to have 2008 dates posted yet and the racediary.co.uk web site doesn't seem to be taking their online entries yet. Although, it would probably be a good idea to keep a close eye on it in the new year, when I would expect a lot of race organisers to start getting their dates together for the 2008 racing season.
  • Progress report:

I went out for my first 'proper' bike ride at the weekend. I managed 7.5 miles and felt a lot more confident than last time. I didn't threaten to fall off once and I even got up the courage to take my hands off the bars once or twice to wipe flies from my face (Hubby is more confident on a bike, so I leave him to do the arm signals when we ride on the road). We even went up a steep hill that I struggle to run up, although I was rediculously slow and for the first time I have to say that I enjoyed riding a bike!

The reason that I am willing to document how pathetic I am is to encourage other people to give it a go. Now all I need to do is get my speed up and remember to change gears BEFORE I reach the junction, so that I'm not having to pull awy in high gear (doh!).

Please Santa, can I have lots of bike stuff this year.

• ""I've been biking for a few years only really keeping fit and stopping me getting to over weight but i only had £300 to spend and bought a valour and it's pretty spot on it gets me round a 25 miler in about 58 mins""

Very modest Sra521! Next you'll be telling us you trot 'round a 10K in 35min in your Green Flashes! Goes to show that training is the most important thing; too many triathletes put blowing money on Guccu gear ahead of breaking a decent sweat training[8|]

In response to mangel - have you trawled Ebay? There are always bargain complete bikes there if you're patient.

Good luck
  • Interesting thread! I always think though that no matter how good the bike, only YOU can make you go faster! Do people really think that buying a £3000 bike will make them quicker than if they buy something from Halfords or the like?

My first bike was second hand at £300 and my new bike was over £1000. I am no quicker on the more expensive bike and it does have carbon forks etc. My old bike had a steel frame.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    sarah and jorgan,

I'm not that keen on allthose fancy gadgets and unnessecary thingies. But I also rode a steel frame bike which I changed for a low-price race-bike with aero-bars; it defenitely made my splits faster. On the other hand, I do believe that those 'rocket'-bikes of plus 3000€ only help the really fast guys, when seconds matter.

Nothing makes you faster than good training, rest and eating.