Home Chat General Chat

Talkback: Jan Frodeno claims "too many beers" to blame for comments made against GB's Harry Wiltshir

Harry's 2011 offence against Gomes was so blatant (watch the video) that it is hard not to believe Frodeno's claims.. good athlete not a good sportsman

Comments

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

If you listed to the TRS Triathlon podcast it appears that there is a LOT more to this story than what Frodo said when he was on the lash.

My understanding is that during the bike rack Frodo muttered a number of aggressive thinks at Harry - I understand the polite version would be "I don't like you and I wish you weren't here" and then sheepishly backed away when Harry asked him to repeat those comments so everyone else could here.  This against the very public comments made by Frodo in '14 about punching Harry if he gets near him in a race and I think there is far more to this story than just Frodo's claims.

Also, having watched the swim, yes Harry was close on Jan's hip, yes, he could probably have swim further away (and got less of a draft) at the same time, did Jan give Harry lots of room when the course pinched in at the pier - not really, short of pretty much stopping there was always going to be some shoulder rubbing there and that was Frodo's fault in my humble opinion.

To be frank, this sounds like something Frodo started at the bike rack and in my view Harry swam fairly and Frodo just needs to sit down and stop making himself look stupid.  I like Frodo a lot, and have huge respective for him but even with my pro Frodo goggles on in this case my view is that if one of them was being a prick it probably wasn't Harry.

• That response makes no sense: it infers a much longer issue between them, backs it up with a reference to a comment made two years ago but concludes that it was something started in T1.

In my view, in the uniquely stressful environment of transition anyone blowing off a little steam with some choice effing-and-jeffing - in general or because they feel slighted by another competitor - should be free to do so; the fact that Wiltshire made an issue of this and subsequently called Frodeno out on social media rather than resolving the matter privately seems to me to be a case of 'the lady doth protest too much'.

• Andrew4Andrew4 Posts: 190

StooDogg - nothing to do with T1, as I said during the BIKE RACK.  Maybe read/ actually put some effort to have the slightest clue the difference between what T1 and Bike Rack actually is before making snarky comments.

My point is a simple one (apparently not simple enough for you) - Frodo doesn't like Harry Wiltshire and hasn't for some time, he is pretty open about this and has been for some time.  Frodo allegedly muttered some shitty comments about Harry Wiltshire IN PUBLIC before the race but was aware enough that they were shitty comments that he'd rather weren't heard by fans/ sponsors, that he didn't feel comfortable repeating them aloud for everyone to hear. 

There is history between these two, its safe to say they aren't the best of friends but to boil it down simply to in essence "I have read one article which was published before more of the details came out but because Harry Wiltshire was found to have committed an offence five years ago so I am sure he was just being a shitty sportsman again" is not a fair comment and there are two sides to this story.

Stop being a Frodo fan boy and be prepared to accept that your hero started an unseemly fight!

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    StooDogg wrote (see)

In my view, in the uniquely stressful environment of transition anyone blowing off a little steam with some choice effing-and-jeffing - in general or because they feel slighted by another competitor - should be free to do so; 

Unfortunately not though, If a competitor is heard by a race official they could be a DQ'd