Home Chat General Chat
Options

Training Apathy

Hi, just after a bit of advice. I've been off training for 2 weeks now with flu and need and want to catch up. I know about the dangers of training too hard too soon, but my problem is general apathy towards training. Before I was ill I swam 3 mornings a week, rode 2 or 3 times and ran the same. Any top tips on how to break out of this lazy cycle?

Comments

• Options
    LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Not sure there is a magic solution out there, if there was it could make the inventor very rich....

;-)

Be interested in hearing people's top tips for getting out and exercising when the mind says "the bed is so much nicer than out there"

• Options
    Not so much a tip as a morale booster - I've no idea how to make that first training session feel more attractive, but I do know that once you've been out on the bike/pool/run once, your body will start wanting to go out the next day and then the next and then the next and so on. The viscious circle is that the less fit you are, you less you feel like exercising and the more your body protests afterwards....but fortunately the same is true in reverse.

• Options
    jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    My advice is do not try to catch up,you will have a good level of base fitness and go and do something different,get off the road and go and run cross country,play golf(guess I will be crucified for this one).try training with someone who is of a different level to you,if they are fitter you can learn something new ,if they are slower it will boost your ego.Sometimes the world goes to quick and you just have to step back and take stock of things,use this apathy as a training tool and think positive.

If your body is still run down supplement your diet with glutamine available either separately or it can be found in some protein shakes.I found it useful after suffering a post viral infection from glandular fever.
  • Options
    DavidC212DavidC212 Posts: 12
    Hi Wobbly,

I guess that is exactly how you are feeling after having the flu for 2 weeks! Although the physical symptoms of the flu have gone the virus can play havoc with your body for weeks after.

As Nike say, "Just do it". Get out on the bike or in the pool. Take it easy but by simply getting back into things you will be able to get back on track. As others say, you have your base fitness it is only your programme that has taken a knock. Get those endorphins going and in no time you'll be back.

David