Home Chat General Chat
Options

Shaving?!?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RockieRockie Posts: 40
    Swimming without a wetsuit though, as I do where I live 'cuz the water temperature's about 25 degrees celcius... shaving would be a definite plus, yeah?
  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    and there it is..waxing & shaving in one..wear your wetsuit inside out..pull it off really quickly & all your hair comes with it...job done.
  • Options
    My experience has been that grazes heal much faster when there is no hair present.

And now for something slightly more [color=#551a8b][color=#000000]controversia[/color]l[/color]... if there's no aero effect, then why do we wear tri suits? They ultimately provide the same effect for the rest of our body, right? The reason we have hairy legs is for insulation, the air is "captured" in the hair and heated. I don't imagine that an F1 car with leg hair would be as fast as one without.

Why do we use aero bars and spend huge amount of money on aerodynamic bikes? I think that there was a piece in this months 220 magazine which said some thing about pinning down all four sides of your number, cos the flapping could slow you down. If this truely is the case... best get shaving.

• Options
    what a marvellous picture you paint..an F1 car with leg hair..maybe I should fish it out og the plughole & send it to Lewis Hamilton..see if it helps.
  • Options
    BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    @Kenjonessa: tri-suits speed you up in transition, at least. Also, flashier ones are more slippery in the water, where there are bigger gains to be made in getting streamlined, because water is thicker than air.

I'd debate whether the advice on pinning your number down is relevant for most of us. As I've said before, if you are consistent enough for this kind of thing to have a measureable effect then your coaching team will advise you what to do. Personally speaking, I lose enough time getting ONE race belt knotted up... I can't see that two would be any better.

Back to shaving.... the very same article in 220 also says there's no aero advantage in shaving, and that aero bars have a BIG effect. They're worth one higher gear to me on a flat road.

I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence about healing quicker when shaved. My medical friends say there is no difference, but I suppose there must at least be the advantage that ripping dressings off doesn't hurt so much (this is what Lance says, after all).

As an experiment, I am looking for a volunteer to shave just ONE leg, then have a nasty off and graze both knees. Then we can see which heals quickest..... [:D]
  • Options
    WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I have done 3 years of triathlon, and for whatever reason really fancy doing the whole shaving / waxing thing! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]

I've had the back waxed before and it feels so good, especially when dealing with the wetsuit.

Apprehensive of doing the legs though, as I'm sure I'd then debate arms, chest and stomach!!! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]
  • Options
    AgnessAgness Posts: 27
    Do men not av problems with ingrowing hairs & spots if they shave and wax? obviously im female & find this talk v funny.
  • Options
    SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hi Agness,

I'm sure I talk for all guys here when I say we exfoliate and moisturise nightly to reduce the ingrowing hair issue....

[:D]
  • Options
    Not really connected but I noticed a bike shop online called shavedlegs. Made my laugh.
  • Options
    just a small question for the chaps out there - have any of you ever had your sexuality questioned when you mentioned about waxing / shaving?

I always get strange looks in the pool when I'm waxed (yes, before you ask, I have my trunks on when it happens!!)

• Options
    bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Nope, cause I don't shave or wax (hope I can stay on the forum now that I came out for it [:D]).

My collegue at work shaves his legs and attached thingies, and I really do question his sexuality now you mention it [sm=kiss.gif]. Especially cause he's not a triathlete or cyclist, just a beer drinking couch potatoe[sm=rolleyes.gif]
  • Options
    jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    as a shaving virgin i did wonder about that. i was swimming behind what i hought was a very attractive lady on tuesday night, smooth tanned legs, long hair. hang on a sec, no top! urgh!! it's a bloke!! men shouldnt be allowed to wear a speedo's!![:'(]
  • Options
    TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Yes, I had my sexuality challenged for shaving/waxing my chest. But as I have no problem with being challenged on my sexuality I didnt care! I don't wax my chest anymore, more out of lazyness than anything else, and also I only ever did it for a girl, now she is not a factor.

I dont think i will ever start shaving my legs tho, they will get all cold! and i like wearing shorts!!!
  • Options
    Hey guys, im back to posting. You have to shave the whole leg to get the full effect. And it also looks weird if you dont. I was a swimmer in high school and we had to shave, no doubt about it. Just suck it up and do it.
  • Options
    I'm utterly delighted with my sexuality as well TommiTri - I actually find it quite amusing, especially when females assume I am gay just because I am fit, toned and hairless (I'd like to say gorgeous as well, but that would be going way too far!) [:D][:D][:D]

• Options
    I believe that when I first shaved..back when I was more of a muscle mary (oops) I may have had my sexuality challenged..but didn't care, I worked in retail(!) ..on a cruise ship, one could not swing a hand bag without hitting someone (anyone) with questionable sexuality, but since becoming triathlete shaved..not a whisper..hmmmm.
  • Options
    i've never had a problem with people challenging my sexuality , mind you i am covered in tattoos and they tend not to notice my hairlessness .