Home Chat General Chat
Options

I've pulled off the unthinkable - Rookie Training days and Rookie Waves in races

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Was beginning to think it was just going to be the six of us. Getting closer to break even Conehead! Still can't understand why this thing isn't swamped...

BTW - j27rt - you realise we're namesakes? You Irish or Scot?
  • Options
    j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Ron - I did notice that, you're the first person i've known who has spelt our name right, it normally is missing the M or the D. For a truely unique spelling check out www.justgiving.com/londontobrightonmadness I think Mr Roberts' L button got stuck ;-)

I have been told that originally we were Irish and moved to Scotland many generations ago. How about yourself?
  • Options
    Haha - I always say the same thing about the spelling! Seems we started out in Scotland and moved to Ireland - maybe we all had a big family split and decided to put the sea between us to avoid a ruck ...[;)]

• Options
    We've been known to do a bit of pillaging, us Celts...

back to swim better, bike better and run better then. And shiny stuff. Free shiny stuff.
  • Options
    han382han382 Posts: 80
    Hi Conehead-genuine question about events in the South-do you have any plans the do this in the future-and is it realistically going to be next season if it happens?

I'd love to attend the 2 days, but can't justify travelling that far for them.
  • Options
    just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    How big does the pool need to be? Do you need to have the transition area next to the pool or is close to the pool good enough? The bespoke room - can this be a meeting room?
  • Options
    gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    And what about coordinating with a particular tri club?
  • Options
    han382han382 Posts: 80
    Sevenoaks Tri Club use the large sports centre and pool in Sevenoaks 3 or 4 times a week-so could be worth speaking to someone there.
  • Options
    scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    Darren.

Have a chat with me on the 17th.. I have a few possible venues..

Scotty

• Options
    willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    What about If I could blag a house with a 30m pool and a sauna, hot tub and a confrence room all in 5 acres so enough for a transition session if needed ?

Any good ? ?

I'll have a word with the person this afternoon.

it's in Surrey Near Boxhill

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    j27rt wrote:

I have just signed up and booked up the Travel Lodge @ Birmingham Walsall for £29. If anyone is staying the night before maybe we could meet up for a meal / drink???

that makes 2 of us then

out of interest what kit are bods brining with them - need to work out if need 4x4 or how much crawling I need to do to borrow teenagers hatch
  • Options
    The feelers are out.... there are 2 pools that we may be able to blag... it's just convincing someone to let 20 hairy arsed triathletes invade their home..... we can but wait and see. Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    I asked around a couple of places here in Lahndan -

The local leisure centre here in Clapham is open to the idea - I know because our diving club uses the pool down there regularly.

Also, there's a school nearby (Tooting - SW London) I know that has good facilities, and it's used by a local tri club, so they're friendly to the sport. I called the place, and the guy there said it was definitely do-able. Pool is £40 per hour and classroom £20 per hour. Have some more info if it sounds like it might be an option. Dunno if it competes with some luxury pad in the country though!

• Options
    One luxury pad has blown out - to be fair the bloke wasn't to keen on his family home being turned into a training centre for a few hours and I can understand that. Escpecially as he doesn't even know me let alone any of you dodgy lot.

Still waiting on option 2

Ron - what school is it ?

I work in SW17, SW19, SW18, SW11 area's - I can pop in and see someone if needs be.

• Options
    Is it the Latchmere Leisure centre ?
  • Options
    Are you talking about the Latchmere leisure Centre ?
  • Options
    No - Clapham Leisure Centre on the High st. Latchmere might be an option too though. Plus, either option might be good travel wise, as they're both 10 mins from CJ station.
  • Options
    The school is Ernest Bevin College. Bloke there seems pretty helpful too.

http://www.ernestbevin.org.uk/

• Options
    JuniacroodeJuniacroode Posts: 51
    I'm doing this supersprint-ish tri at a posh school called Wellington College, in Crowthorne near me in Berkshire (not far to M3, not quite as far out as Reading). They basically are donating their grounds for the event (AXLR8 Triathlon as all the entry money goes to charity) and they donate it for these little 'training sessions' (basically a chance to go around course and get some tips). Anyway, have no contacts there and not sure if they'd be open to these days but they do at least have the facilities as they already put on a tri there.