Home Chat General Chat
Options

nuun - it saved my life....

2»

Comments

• Options
    danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Gavin, I can give an incomplete answer, which is biased highly towards what has worked/not worked for m...

I tried out lucozade/powerade/gatorade and they're fine for me up to about 3 hours. After that, I really really got a lot of trouble sucking down any more sugary drinks. I can digest SIS GO bars for days on a bike if I had to, and they're made with a bunch of different types of carbohydrates. Not just glucose which I think is the key. Combining different types of sugars gives me what feels like a continuous burn of energy rather than spiking and crashing when I just eat gels.

However, when I get out of the water, I do eat a caffeinated powergel, and another ~10-15 minutes before gettign off of the bike. This is because when running, I can't do any more solid foods. I have plenty of energy from bars (~300 cal/hr for me weighing 78-80kgs) and drinking nuun dilluted a little above the recommended 500mls gives me a good balance. Mixing up the sugars to fructose/galactose/dextrose/glucose combinations didn't really make a 3 hour ride any different, but the run afterwards was 100% better.

• Options
    ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    combat dwarf, i use high 5 for recovery, and also the 4:1.

i they do 2 energy ones, and one of them contains cafeine, i think that is the extreme one that you may have. cafeine should really only be used in the shorter races, or a the latter stages of the longer events. it also effects people in diff ways, so you may have chosen the wrong one.
  • Options
    Book - Check :)

Log Distance Rookie Training Days 1&2 - Check :)

Also entered Big cow middle distance Tri as a warmup for IMUK... I just hope my ankle is up and runing by then!

Looking forward to it... I'm expecting the OW swim training to be something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM

p.s. My computer speakers are wrecked so no idea if the video has noise or not :(