Home Chat General Chat
Options

nose clips...please please help

Hi
I have been swimming to keep fit , but its making me sneeze and bunged up for 24 hours later, i bought a nose clip which i hope to try tomorrow, but when i tried it on at home, when i swallow my ears block up!!!, how can i overcome this if at all, please any sugestions would be grateful...i love swimming and really dont want to give it up

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Swallowing when pinching ur nose will always results in popped ears so try ear plugs rather than the nose clip as I've found that's what helps me out the most.

Theres has been a few posts on here about possible chlorine allergies and also how low ceiling height increase discomfort in swimmers so maybe try a different pool?
  • Options
    michele44michele44 Posts: 3
    quitter, thanx for your reply, will the ear plugs help with the bunged up feeling after swimming?

thanx so much
  • Options
    QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    I think any exercise generates for want of a better word...snot! it just seems harder to shift when swimming.
    I found ear plugs helped with making it feel better whilst in the pool/OW but also resulted in fewer problems afterwards as well. No popped ears and less sneezing (but never cured).

Ear nose and throat all connected but never had to resort to nose clip.
  • Options
    michele44michele44 Posts: 3
    Thanx again,

soon as i get in the pool i start to sneeze, then after i am blocked up and sneezing for the next 24 hours, i already take an antihistamine for other things, but it isnt helping,

i do it to get fit, more like aerobics and a bit of breast stroke,, i must be sensitive to the chlorine, i try not to let the water get into my ears, so no diving etc,

i really dont want to give it up, it very relaxing and helping me get fit,
    thanks for your sugestions,
  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Have you tried a beconase type nasal spray? Use the night before & see if that helps.
  • Options
    shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    When you say your ears block up - do you mean you feel a pressure build up behind the ear drum? - Similar to what you feel when flying?

Personally not had that but why don't you just make your ears pop to relieve the pressure? I suffer similar to you in that I cannot swim without nose clips, if I try I have cold like symptoms for days after it. Beconase did nothing for me, neither did vaseline around the nostril area. The only thing that works is nose clips

Think you're going to have to get used to the feeling - its not natural for the nose clips to be there so take your time. But defo try and make your ears pop..