5 days until first tri - taper or clear the cobwebs?
I asked the same thing a week or two ago but it was reference a 4 week plan.
I would go with tapering! Dont over taper or under taper though!
Nit sure if that helps?
I don't have the books to hand - but you will have lost a few percentage points of fitness off your various key functions (muscle, CV - VO2Max etc.) The recommendation would be a few weeks of base training to start with. What that means is that you don't really have time to do anything now, except make things worse.
1) Don't be too hard on yourself. I won't tell you to enjoy it, but don't be too upset if you miss your goals. OK. I will. Enjoy it.
2) Just do something that will help your confidence - but not too hard. A gentle run or ride, a steady swim etc.
3) Keep eating well, resting and sleeping. Avoid alcohol and anything that will affect your immune system, ability to recover etc. etc. You've probably been pretty poorly - so you may still be a bit feak and weeble.
4) Don't get swine flu.
5) Use it for the experience, practising transitions, a first hard brick session.
6) Enjoy it!! (whoops! Did it again).
Been off training for 15 days (chest infection then a damn reaction to the antibiotics! you've got to laugh!!) with my first sprint tri coming up on Sunday.
My original tapering plan was
Cycle 30 mins steady
Run 20 mins steady
Swim - 4 x 100m race pace - swim 20 mins
But as i've done nothing for 15 days do you think i should pick it up a little bit, is there any point? - feel like i need to "clear the cobwebs"!!
Suppose i run the risk of getting ill again (but feel pretty good today and have done since Sunday).
[i do expect comments of just enjoy it but i still want to post a least a half decent time!]
Stick with your original plan but also look to do something on the 9th (assuming your race is on 10th).
Nothing major, just a ten minute high cadence spin on the bike, a short run and some arm swings etc..
carry on as planned then - with Jac's extra bit on the day before.
At least i've had time to get my kit together... and now time for practising transisitons...[:D]
Ooooh and I mustn't forget to........ enjoyy it!
@ conehead. Thank god my missus doesn't read the forum. I'd be getting a massive "i told you so" at this very moment!!