Home Chat Race Chat
Options

Stockton Triathlon 2010 Aug 22nd.

This is an all new event for 2010, there is a new organisation running the event for 2010 over a new course at a new venue and on completely closed roads. Stockton Council, who really do want this to be a top class triathlon, have appointed local triathlon providers TriHard, who also organise Keswick and Helvellyn Triathlons amongst others, to revamp and run the event.

The swims and transition area have been moved to the Riverside close to the Town Centre. The cycle course is entirely new and will be on completely closed roads based around the Riverside and University areas. It will be flat, fast and quite twisty, it is an urban race after all, but none of it goes along depressed or development type areas. It will also be spectator friendly as the 8k (5 laps for the standard race) circuit passes very close to the transition hub 4 times each lap. The run is a 5k route (2 laps for standard) along the Riverside walkways and over the new Infinity and Millennium Bridges.

There will be a Sprint Distance, Standard Distance (with relay option) and a pool based mini-tri all on the same day. The mini-tri is targeted at newcomers to the sport and will be on the morning, it will also use the cycle and run route that the afternoon OW races use. There will be a small triathlon village and a top quality PA system to provide a ”soundtrack” for the event.

These events don’t come cheap, but at £20 for the mini and £35 for the Standard I don’t think they are unreasonably priced.

The aim this year to put on a really good regional event and to prove the course and organisation. Then to take it forward to a national standing event of some sort in 2011 hopefully.

It’s an ambitious project but a lot of effort and determination is going into making it the event the council deserve for their continued support of the sport.

If you have done this race in the past and been disappointed I hope that you will give it another chance I’m sure it will pretty much unrecognisable to the previous editions. Full information on all 3 races can be found at http://www.trihard.co.uk .

Rob Wilkins, TriHard

Comments

• Options
    wedotriwedotri Posts: 5
    There is now a £2000 prize fund for the Standard Distance Race. £500 each for 1st man and woman then £300 for 2nd and £200 for 3rd. With a 1pm start time it could be worth the trip after the relays if you fancy your chances.
  • Options
    Little too late for me this year (only just started training) will be there next year though. Am gutted ive just seen it now! Just saw the event advertised on the http://www.BikeTraks.com website.