Home Chat General Chat

Knee pain - advice

I am stuck on Sprint distance and can not progress to OD - although never being diagnosed my left knee is problematic.
I can not run more than 2-3 km before it starts hurting, and I can usually feel the pain the following days - this results in having only one run session per week which I recently upped to 8km, on grass not asphalt - and of course it comes with aches and pains. I have orthotics and running shoes that were fit for my style of running.
Swimming is fine, cycling hurts as well but less so.
Finally have come to terms that I need to treat this. I live in North London.

I've been given the name of a sports physio and an Orthopaedic Consultant Surgeon.
- Which would you see first? The phsysio can not do MRI's/scans so wouldn't it be a waste of money seeing him first? Wouldn't it be better to have it diagnosed first?
Alternatively surgeons are quick to recommend surgery, so maybe seeing physio first is better. (in a world where money and time are not an issue this would not be a problem)
- I'm sot sure it's acceptable to post names of consultants/Physios but hell, it's for a good cause. Does anyone have a recommendation for both in the area I live?
I've been told of Steve Varney (Physio) and Fares Hadded (Consultant).

Thanks for help


  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    go see the doc first...

    I have seen plenty of physios....many seem to have a knee-program which they carry out for most injuries.
    The fact is, unless you know the cause you cannot properly treat the injury.
    See what the doc says, maybe u need a scan, maybe he knows straight away that's going on.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    You say it starts hurting after 2-3km of running, always that distance? If so it could be illotibial band friction syndrome. I had this for a while due to always running around the same course, on the same side with the same camber thus aggravating my left knee, stairs absolutely killed me but walking on the flat was a lot less painful. If it is this then physio is the way to go as you need to do some stretches to 'lengthen' the illiotibial band. One thing with this injury is not to run so far if it hurts, it only makes the problem worse. Google ITBS or ITBFS, there is a good article on it here http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1250716-overview . If this fits see the physio first, otherwise see the doctor.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    If it's gone on for more than a few weeks, then there is something not right. So, you need to see the doctor, and get a referral to a specialist. Do you have insurance?

    Where does it hurt? Inside, outside? on the top of the knee cap, underneath, or inside?

    Any swelling? Does it lock?
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436

    Feel for you - this happened to me at the start of the year...but it has got better with some work at home but mainly from seeing a physio.

    I know a really good physio who sorted me out (works with championship footballers mainly) - he's working out in Watford but i'd definetly recommend taking the trip to see him - no nonsense - won't try and get you to do a course of treatment more - find out what it is - do what he can with you - then give you a course of physio to do at home. (well that's what he did for me!!)

    If you want to see him PM me and i'll send you the details.



    p.s. Good luck.
  • u_j_2001u_j_2001 Posts: 47
    Thanks all for your replies, great to get your answers - nothing better than others experience.

    Jack Hughes, regarding your questions: it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it hurts - more inside and some times on the top as well. It's hard to pinpoint because it hurts all around the knee as well but I think these are muscles?
    No swelling, no locking.

    I think I will go to a consultant first and get it properly diagnosed with a scan, and then off to the physio. I do have private healthcare - PPP, but preferred not to use it as my premium will increase next year. Oh well....

    Willtri - I PM'd you for your physio in Watford. Many thanks
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    do both! see your consultant first, then see a physio who has talked to them of given you a copy of your notes - that way they work with each other! my knee was all clear after an MRI, but then i was already 1 month behind on physio!
Sign In or Register to comment.