Home Chat General Chat
Options

Been offered some Newton Trainers - worth a punt?

Hi All,

Been offered a pair of Newton trainers really cheap - £40.....

Are they worth a punt for someone who's had a few running injuries and could probably do with learning to run light etc?

Thanks,

Pat...

Comments

• Options
    APSAPS Posts: 4
    Good timing. For the past week I've been borrowing a pair of newtons from a friend. I've never had so many comments about my footwear from other runners and gym staff!

Are they good??? Yes. Love them. I'm buying myself a pair. Felt very strange initially, didn't think I liked them but stuck with it and I can't get enough of them. Can feel myself striking more through the forefoot already. I have only used them for a week so cannot offer you my results long-term wise. For £40 though, I'd have them.

By the way, I am an over-pronator who usually rubs in well
    cushioned shoes and have had many issues with shin splints.
  • Options
    AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Cheers APS,

Same scenario - cushioned shoes, over pronator and shin splints.

Progressed into ITB on both legs.

Gotta try something!

Pat...
  • Options
    BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    You will need to be a bit careful and not over do it as Newtons can cause injury if your not use to them!
    A little and often for a while. I believe Britspin is the man to ask.
  • Options
    Off to pick myself up a pair this weekend. For the last two months I've been consciously running on a mid-foot stylee, with the odd run out in Vibram FF's for the shorter distances. Calf muscles have been tight after each run, but good stretching, and then soaking and massaging in a hot bath, and I've been ready to go out the next day. Managed a 19km hilly trail run yesterday, with very little heal impact, so feel I'm now ready for the Newtons. Unluckily, they aren't going to be £30 though
  • Options
    I would be careful are they Neutral, stability have you checked this out? have you had your gait measured, Usualy a free service in anygood runing shop.

I did this bought trainers no more Knee and Back pain.
  • Options
    Hi,

They're the stability ones and I'm an over pronator with quite a bad Q angle so they should be ok.

Also been trying to run midfoot recently and finding it a lot better on my injuries.

Watch this space - they should arrive in the next few days.

Pat...
  • Options
    Hope they don't get delivered with a blue light for receiving
  • Options
    So do I (especially working for HMCS !) - that would be the end of my job....

Pat...