Home Chat General Chat
Options

Frozen Toes

Went out for my first road ride on Saturday - really nice weather but the air was very cold

Anyway got about 6 mile from home and my feet, particularly my toes were absolutely frozen.

Can ayone suggest something to keep my toes warm.
I bought some Sealskin socks last year but these didn't do the biz - would overshoes be a good investment? Is there an electric sock on the market that takes 9v batteries and would keep my toe toastie? (if not then its my idea I said it first )

Any ideas would be useful

thanks
Jase

PS thanks for all the encouragement on the Achilles - been for a couple of good sports massages and been taking it easy

Comments

• Options
    hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I use assos Toe covers at the mo, these do the trick down to about 2-5 degrees, I have a pair of Altura overboots (£19 from Wiggle) these are awesome, they are neoprene so even when they get wet your feet are toastie as they act similar to a wetsuit.

Either of these will serve you well - toe covers for early winter/early spring - Overboots for winter and other cold days.
  • Options
    BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hi Jase. Snap to hussler. Overshoes are the shizzel for keeping feet warm and dry, i think there was a comparison of overshoes in one of the tri mags in Jan, i'll have a look. But if you are out often and just want to keep the toes warm, and like me, dont fancy having to get fulll overshoes on and off all the time, Id defo recommend toe covers. Ive got some descente ones, made from neoprene too so good in the semi-wet. Snugg also make some. I havent even bothered with full overshoes unless its been belting down with rain, and the toe covers have got me through commuting all winter.
  • Options
    I had waterproof socks on yesterday, and neoprene overshoes. After two hours on the bike my toes were frozen solid.
  • Options
    I use sealSkinz thermal waterproof socks and neoprene overshoes, never suffered with cold toes/feet since. Not managed to find a really effective pair of gloves to keep my fingers warm thou'..
  • Options
    JulesJules Posts: 987
    Get some neoprene overshoes. It took me several rides that quickly became miseable due to wet and cold feet before the penny dropped. They realy do help.
  • Options
    risris Posts: 1,002
    i've used both seakskinz and (cheap lidl) overshoes and the overshoes were much better at keeping my feet warm.

i was even able to try my tri-shoes in january with overshoes on.
  • Options
    shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I had my tri shoes on my feet on Sat... thought two pairs of socks and I'll be fine, which I was until I cycled down a road with open moor land, head wind, side wind but never a tail wind!!! (funny that!!).

My feet were totally frozen... I've been meaning to invest in overshoes ever since the debacle at the Tour of the Peak.... I thought I would've learned from that but sadly no.
  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Out for 4 hours Sunday..toasty toes & fingers.
    Trek Oslo socks, (if wet gore inner socks as well), Shimano road bootees water proof (ish) outside, neoprene inner sock up to ankle & velcro closing, add Aldi windstopper overshoes (Endura neoprene if wet) & I am good.
    Hands wise, Craft lobster claw gloves with silk liner (Decathlon) inside as well as inner glove, under helmet the cap that comes with the Aldi overshoes.
  • Options
    AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    I wear a pair of decent warm socks with Northwave neoprene over shoes and my fet are usually toasty warm. On my hands I've got a pair of Specialized BG gloves with thinsulate lining and my digits are usually fine.

Oh. And it gets mighty cold up here.
  • Options
    Get some neoprene overshoes
    They make my ride to work so much better. I do not ride without them, highly recomend.
  • Options
    Just harden up. Surely, once you start wearing overshoes, then they'll end up being a comfort blanket, and there's the danger that you'll never take them off.
  • Options
    Why make a enjoyable ride painful???? Are you saying you on't even wear padded shorts?
  • Options
    GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Overshoes for me too, but only when its hovering around the freezing mark or windy and wet - I only use them from about November to March though and not on every ride. If commuting then definately use them - keeps your shoes drier in the wet weather - much more comfy for the journey home too
  • Options
    I've started wearing my wetsuit for long rides. Keeps you lovely and toasty, no need to stop for toilet breaks either for that little bit of extra warmth. Lovely.
  • Options
    Flavadave wrote:
    I've started wearing my wetsuit for long rides. Keeps you lovely and toasty, no need to stop for toilet breaks either for that little bit of extra warmth. Lovely.
    :roll:

Why not sleep in it as well, stops the need to get up in the middle of the night
  • Options
    jasejase Posts: 47
    Cheers for all the adivce - I have purchased a pair of 'Endura Road Overshoe 2010' from JEJames (another recomendation from the forum) lets hope they keep the toes toastie

I am wonder though how it is every time I post something on the forum the result is me spending money......hmmmmmm
  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    To hell with that, I am nailing my cleats to my bare feet & cycling naked no saddle from now on. HTFU indeed.
  • Options
    bulletbullet Posts: 115
    I wear lightweight ski socks , they have thicker material on the toes ,shin , & heel , then overshoes as well ,does the trick fine .