Home Chat General Chat
Options

Cold weather running

Hi all,
Went out for a run @ 5.30 and nearly froze my tits off - was wearing baslayer, light fleece and windproof jackey top half and running tights bottom half.
Top half was toasty enough once I got going, but my lege were that miserable I nearly turned for home a couple of times.
What's everyone else wear? I can't afford to turn back on runs!
Please help

Comments

• Options
    I went out last night and got cold. Base layer, running shirt, gillet on top. Compression shorts and running shorts on bottom. Opposite to you though, bottom half was fine, it was my torso that got cold, and fingers. So tonight, I've got a windproof base layer, gloves and beanie, just to see.

Tights, don't really get on with those.
  • Options
    TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    I Use the 2XU compression tights with football socks

with under armour compression boxers.

check out the under armour tops, I've got a compression hoodie, nice and warm and the hood is tight fitting so you can wear it under a cycle helmet!

Happy days
  • Options
    FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Run faster!
  • Options
    wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    +1 for beanie hat.

I never need more than a standard pair of leggings and layers to keep my torso wrapped up warm. Skiing mits if it's really cold.

I ran all last winter and didn't get cold once. I think it's the hat that really makes the difference.
  • Options
    kevy427kevy427 Posts: 10
    It's still nice and warm down here on the South Coast, so I was out in my Hawaiian shirt, bermuda shorts, flip flops and a Banana Daiquiri (with umbrella and sparkler) for hydration...Base layer, un-breathable hi-vis cycling jacket, 2XU shorts but think may need to wrap up more now...
  • Options
    BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Tights? I havent even put the heating onyet1

I am running in nornal shorts and a long sleeve compression top! Head band and sunglasses!

I am thinking maybe a windproof next week!

I am in the suniest place ever though! Somerset!!!!! *that might be tougue in cheek)
  • Options
    Got up at 5.45, kick bight to eat and out the door for 6.00.

Managed 10 minutes and then had to turn back. It wasn't the cold that defeated me, i had a fews layers on so was quite warm if anything. No, it was the fact that those 10 minutes were spent trying to stay upright. It was like a bloody ice rink in Ipswich.

I normally run in any type of weather, it doesn't bother me as i'm generally sweating my tits off after 5 minutes anyway but i draw the line at potentially breaking something. I'd rather miss one run session than 2 months of running, cycling & swimming.

That being said, i am going to try and get out again tonight. This morning was the warm-up.
  • Options
    ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Get on a plane to California or Arizona
    ... which is what I would have been doing if I had won the Euromillions the other week ... or NZ or Oz

Don't like the cold
  • Options
    risris Posts: 1,002
    i was out running most of last winter in the snow and found that i got used to it pretty quickly. the first couple of runs on sub-zero mornings were tough but once through them it was fine.

i usually run in tights, long-sleeved top and light gloves. if it is below freezing i might wear a beanie and a light jacket but not if i am running hard as i tend to overheat.
  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Ditto above, cycling in the snow is not my idea of fun, so ran to work each day. Tights, sleeveless nike base layer, long sleeve top layer, trail shoes, gloves, usaually start with hat, take it off in 5-10 mins when too hot, altho nike did/do a thin layer beanie which is bearable most days.
    Biggest prob I had was icy footpaths between soft snow verges..saw some 'snow chains for shoes' yesterday in Cotswolds...hmmmm, maybe this years purchase...if it was reakky cold I would put arm warmers on to start & roll them down once going.
  • Options
    Britspin wrote:

Biggest prob I had was icy footpaths between soft snow verges..
    definitely - running in snow if fantastic, and compacted snow is an excellent medium for long steady runs. ice is another thing though, it's easier to run on ice than bike but still not a massive laugh if it goes titsup.
  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Yak trax are the thing in Cotswold...might have to try them on..£15, best not mention I am a triathlete or the price will double!
  • Options
    JulesJules Posts: 987
    Just man up and get on with it

Personally if it's really cold I wear base layer shorts and top, long sleeved top, then jacket, plus full leg tights and gloves and a beanie hat. It has to be very cold for me to have to put the full set on though.

As has been said though, if it's really icy I will give it a miss. Not worth ruining your winter's training with an ankle sprain or worse.
  • Options
    shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hi all,
    Went out for a run @ 5.30 and nearly froze my tits off - was wearing baslayer, light fleece and windproof jackey top half and running tights bottom half.
    Top half was toasty enough once I got going, but my lege were that miserable I nearly turned for home a couple of times.
    Please help
    You're not pushing yourself. Run faster and harder
  • Options
    GGBGGB Posts: 482
    When going out for a run in the cold its ideal to have a 1 mile cirular that passes back to your house, this means if you are too hot or too cold, and you should know by mile 1, you can nip back in and add another layer or take a layer off. Then head back out for the rest of your run.
  • Options
    shadowone1 wrote:
    Hi all,
    Please help
    You're not pushing yourself. Run faster and harder
    Would love to run faster/harder, but you can't when you're doing an HR limited Zone 2 run!
  • Options
    run as close to 2.9 as you can!
  • Options
    Went out at 6.30 this Morning

Long Nike tights, More mile run shorts, Nike base layer and windprooof hi viz Jacket.

6 mile run and by mile 1 i was sweating and starting to burn a little too hot.

Good bit of advice though. Primark Lycra Ladies tights (black of course) £5 and have never needed anything more when cycling and keep me warmer that the £65 jobs. I have 3 pairs that have lasted 2 years just bought some new ones. Put your TXU tri shorts over the top No-0ne knows the difference.

£30 4 years use beat that!
    put the nike leggings over the top over the top when i thought i needed it and i could have heated the whole of london.
  • Options
    101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    I do loads of hiking as well and experience has shown me that by far the most important bit of kit for keeping warm is a hat, or head covering. At the moment my trusty buff is doing the biz. I was out this morning just before the sun, it was -3 degrees and I was running in shorts and long sleeved base layer no bother. Being a bad-circulation lady-type I also have a thin pair of gloves as well, although they usually end up in my pocket (a previous pair came in handy for a Paula moment too !). It wasn't the cold that got me, it was the bloody frozen cowpats !