Home Chat General Chat
Options

Turbo Trainers

JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
So many people praise turbo trainers.

Are they actually that good, or is it better to hit the road. I understand weather conditions may affect then it is good to have one. But in general do they really improve times.

Also there are so many out there, which ones are recommended.

Comments

• Options
    DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Jason

For base level winter training they are fine they will certainly allow you to "get out" when you wouldn't otherwise have got anywhere near your bike.

You can work on your position and comfort, if you are new to an aero position it helps to build time in the position, but you will need time on the road later to become comfortable with steering and managing slopes and bumps when in the aero position.

If you are trying to adjust your position and perfect it then sitting on a turbo allows you to use a mirror/friend/video camera to help adjust your position. adjustments are then made more easily.

There is no excuse or shortcut to on the road training but turbo training is good when you can't get out.

I have a Tacx but it is several years old now, seems OK.

David
  • Options
    pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    The husband had a fit of generosity on my birthday last year and bought me a real axion turbo trainer - with Tour de France software etc etc. It is brilliant. I struggle with time for training with 4 children but with that I can train and 'babysit' at the same time. I've programmed the Exmoor bike route in (except it will only simulate 12.7% hills, not 14%) so I can also panic about the race while training!

On the road is by far the best - but without a turbo trainer there are some weeks when I wouldn't get on a bike at all ...
  • Options
    guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Remember on a turbo trainer you don't freewheel so you work more consistantly. Its also good for interval sessions or quick bursts of say under a hour. As has altready been stated it is good for the colder days when motivation is in short supply.