Home Chat General Chat

TDF 2009

I am lucky enough to be in the south of france while this past through. I made the most of it by getting to Monaco yesterday and seeing most of the riders doing there thing! There was some amazing bikes on show, made me drool....

Today I headed to a road where the riders would head through, before the TV coverage started, and saw them fly by at 40kph.

An excellent experience especially the TT in Monaco!

Comments

• TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    The biked looked pretty bling on TV, up close and in the flesh they must have been awesome. Anything specifically stand out and worth a mention?
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Yeh, All the Astana bikes especially Lances inc. his spare ones.

Also the S-Works bikes looked pretty amazing..... most will never be able to be purchased!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Not true about not being purchased! You can get the SHIV next year, albeit in extremely limited quantities from Specialized. I don't know about the Trek going on sale, but I would give up one or two kidneys to have one of those. Most beautiful ride I've ever seen. Poor cervelo though, all those P4's and only a 20th place highest finish...
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Amazing racing today! I thought it was goign to be a snoozer, and for the first 150kms it totally was. Was Contador just asleep or did Armstrong get a heads up from his buddy Georgie that they were gonna go as they passed the marshes? This is definetely going to be the best tour since I've paid attention to cycling.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Can someone explain why the break could happen - they were talking about the corners and the wind but couldn't get to grips with the exact reason Cheers.
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    And another fantastic sprint finish from the Manx Missile.

Willtri, I am no expert, far from it, but I would imagine the break away could happen because the guys at the front sped up forming a gap which allowed the wind to then hit the front of the main group meaning that they were not in a slip stream anymore which would slow them down. The front group were able to keep the pace up, work together and ride more productively/organised allowing them to increase the lead. As I say that is my guess!
  • steviedonssteviedons Posts: 10
    Must say haven't watched the TDF before, what a great event it is. Been recording the higlight show and thought would just fast forward through get the idea of the race and then fast forward to the end to watch the sprint finish but I have been glued to it. I didn't realise how tactical / team based the race is, great stuff, even got the wife watching it .
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    forming a gap which allowed the wind to then hit the front of the main group
    That does make sense!
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    I used to watch it during the days of Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly, cycling was massive in Ireland. Haven't wathced it in ages and am a bit gutted I missed the Lance years but I'm loving it this year. The team tactics are fascinating.