Home Chat General Chat
Options

First Iron Distance Event?

Hi All,

so not been on for ages was hiding due to an achilles injury that took me out of London Marathon 3 weeks before and the rest of the Season been lickng my wounds all year

So thought i'd treat myself to my first Iron Distance event in 2012 and i don't know which one to do.

I don't want to do any earlier than August as i want to have the Best of the summer to get the miles in and use winter to build base aerobic capacity up.

So i narrowed it down to 3

Cologne 226 2nd September

Looks nice don't know much more about it

Challenge Henley rumoured 16/09/2012 - stood on evey Lap of it this year cheering my mate on great event but not sure i want to risk shitty english weather that time of year

or Challenge Barcelona 30th September.
I am strangely drawn to this one a)because the weather in september is a nice 22 degrees b) could beautiful scenery - Spanish Ladies

I ruled vichy Out due to the 43 degrees heat last year

Any views and experience of these races would be good. i want to get it on the calender so i can start planning my lack of life coming up.

Oh and just about to order a New P2 with Zipp 808's for the occasion.

Heeelp!

Comments

• Options
    okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Cologne 226 2nd September has a terrible rep here in Germany - don't do this as yer first, no way!!

Challenge Roth is yer only man! Fully booked up, BUT they re-open the registration of December 6th for a limited number - u might get in.
    I dud my first IM in Roth this year, it was AMAZING.
  • Options
    Hi there, definitely would recommend Challenge Barcelona, nice temps - altho nearer to 30 degrees for the 2 years that I have done it, glorious sea swim; flat, closed road bike course & multi lap backwards and forwards on the same road so does get a bit tedious, and a nice flat run to finish off. Organisation is superb and Callela is a fairly relaxing place to spend a week or 2 beforehand. And Barcelona is only a half hour train ride away too. Choose accommodation carefully as some get a bit noisy with Brit & German chavs but nowhere near like other mega Spanish Brits abroad resorts. The local population are 100% behind the race and I don't think it would enter anybodies mind to spread tacks on the road - well done the UK in this respect! Just go!