Home Chat General Chat
Options

hello all, please stand and be counted.

Comments

• Options
    Rob...If i had thought really hard I probably would have worked that out (I am dense)
  • Options
    pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Hi Rob

Oh dear .... the 70.3 bike route sounds worse than I thought .... and from up here in the Midlands I've little chance of getting a look at it. Any tips, info & thoughts you have on it would be most welcome. Have you seen the run route? That looks nice and hilly too ...

I'm a 3 hour girl at Olympic distance so I'm a bit worried about the cut-off times for the 70.3...

At least the swim will be flat - and I start and finish at the back on that!

• Options
    bigmatbigmat Posts: 20
    howdy y'all

been reading everybodies posts, and thought it was about time i introduced myself.

i'm mat (obviously), and the 'big' refers to me being 6'6". live, work and train in north london.

come from a fairly strong cycling background (rode some national championships when i was younger), and did my first triathlons last year after wanting to have a go for a long time.

started with blenhiem sprint, which was an experience as the water was freezing, and had to do half the swim with my goggles totally fogged up. worked my way up to olympic distance over the season, and was really happy with 3:38 at london. finished the season off with the ballbuster duathlon at box hill, which is just as tough as everyone says, but an amazing race. was happy to just finish that one!

currently recovering from surgery, but just getting back to my training, and looking forward to racing again this year.

to anyone that's never done a triathlon before, and is considering one; you really should have a go. you'll get a lot out of it, however fast or slow you are, and it really is a very friendly sport.

happy training.

matt
  • Options
    Evening All,

Im Noel, 23 from the fine fine town of Kidderminster (found on maps just south of the smelly armpit of birmingham!!). New to Tri but with a background of Rowing and military fun, so lots of endurance type events.

Been blackmailed into doing a sprint tri in Austria this summer so really trying to kickstart all my training and errh win (small, inexperienced field so as long as i don't meet any arnie types i reckon i could be ok)

Swimmings being my real weak point at the minute, anybody got any tips? Having trouble with my kicks and stopping my legs dropping down -- Core stability work???

Enjoy
  • Options
    Keep your head down for one anyway Bowman, raising your head will drop your arse and legs.
  • Options
    chischis Posts: 94
    Swimming isn't exactly my best discipline either Bowman but I've been told that it is good to reach long after the leading hand enters the water. This has the effect of making your body stretch and allows you to glide whilst your legs are then more likely to stay further up. A swimming teacher that I know says you should try to swim long and smooth.

chis
  • Options
    Afternoon all!

Name is Matthew form Leeds - extremely new to Triathlon as only started cycling last summer then introduced some running (mostly treadmill in winter-dont have a winter bike).

Sporting background - didnt enjoy sport at school (many years ago) but started going to gym 3+ days a week and recently started cycling/running Hoping to join local Triathlon club and enter first Triathlon, although must admit it is quite a scarey thought, as it always is entering the unknown.

Quick question - for somebody new to the sport would a HRM benefit me?

or just a new pair of trainers and some fresh air - have £50 to spend

• Options
    Mattdg,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd go trainers. I recommend going to a running shop to have you stride analyzed so that you can get the right trainers for the job.

Ian

• Options
    Cheers Ian,

Looking at local Triathlon site there is a link to a shop called Up and Running which are fairly near - will pay them a visit.

Thanks
  • Options
    No worries that was the best advice I got and took when I did the Great North Run a few years back
  • Options
    I did the Leeds half marathon last year (first time doing a run of any distance on Hols this year so will miss it) but hoping to do it next year as well as compete in first Triathlon.

Just dont think theres enougth days in the week - gym/bike/run/swim - will have to get a good routine going definately beats sitting in having to watch soaps with the wife[;)]
  • Options
    did the GNR twice and really enjoyed it though my wife got cramp half way in (both times) so the times weren't anything flash

... didnt do it last year because of the lottery system they started I couldnt be bothered with charity again / didnt want to pay the "gaurantee your place fee" they offered me as I'd done it before ...

Planning to do the Barcelona Marathon next year (end of march) if it runs which will me my first marathon to add to first tri this year - I must be mad.

definately not enough time in the week to train for Tri...or at least it seems

• Options
    GmcGmc Posts: 7
    Hi everyone, Gmc from the south of Ireland, 36 years of age and have dabbled in tri for the past 2 years doing the Olympic tri in Kilkee (hell of the west) and a few shorter ones. No bachround in any of the 3 sports but played field sports all my life, mainly Hurling (that crazy Irish game with sticks) and Soccer. This is hopefully going to be a big year for me when I do my first Marathon (Connemara, next month) and my first half Ironman (Kenmare, in September). Times don't really matter to me as both are my first and to complete is the goal. If all was to go really well, I'm contemplating the big one next year, but keep it to yourself as I haven't told her at home yet that she could be a tri-widow for a year.
  • Options
    Hiya. I too am new to the world of tri though have often fantasized about competing. Decided that now is a good time (40plus) at least to make a good effort of gaining fitness and losing weight with the goal of finishing an event or three over the coming year. Okay biker with a consistent pace - slow - and rotten runner and worse swimmer.

ttfn and enjoy the cold and wet!!
  • Options
    Hi all.

Just 4 weeks into training for my first triathlon, super sprint at Wombourne at end of April. Previously played a lot of football and basketball, and lots of weights. Got bored with humping iron, and read an article on triathlons which lead me to think, ok sounds fun.

Probably most concerned with the running part, as am big / heavy at 6'4" and currently 100kg, but have lost 5 kg in three weeks oftraining and eating far less protein than when weight lifting !

Enjoying the training so far, and always interested in seeing what new kit i can buy in the name of sport !

Cheers

Stu

• Options
    Hi everyone

I'm Chris, 27 year old guy from Jersey (remember Bergerac???)

I've been crosstraining for quite a few years, but am not a competative du/triathlete at the moment. I have completed a sprint distance race in the past and currently race in cross country/road races with my local running club Jersey Spartans.

The plan for the future is to train more consistantly, start getting up the pool and entering some tri's!!!

Look forward to seeing you all around the forum!

• Options
    DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Hi Folks

I am David from West Sussex and i have been running for the last 10+ years and for the last 6 have wanted to go Tri. Well this is the year, i intend to start short and progress next year perhaps to the olympic distance, once i have the transitions sorted. My first target is the Steyning sprint at the end of April. I have had my front crawl stroke technigue deconstructed as i could never do more than 50m without swallowing half the pool, and am now trying to build on that, my first 400m timed swim was 7:48 and i intend to improve it. I used to be a trime triallist in my youth but being mid-40s that seems a long way away. I ride a Giant OCR which i have had for 6 years and am having some problems gettting the positioning right, I have fitted profile aerobars but find i can't tuck like i used to! i have also had to drop my saddle height but it is still not there yet. I am not too worried about the run i have a 40min 10k and sub 31/2 hr marathon time, so 5 - 10km is not a problem,,,, except after all the other effort.

Keep training folks see you out there.
  • Options
    HonksHonks Posts: 4
    Hey there Stu

Great to hear about a fellow 'heavy' taking up the sport. That said, it sounds like you won't be a heavy for too long - 5Kg off in just three weeks!! I too am 6'4" but weigh in at 115kg - if only it was just the protein, I unfortunately consume far too much rubbish!! [:D]

From personal experience you are right to fear the run, I never seem to get used to getting passed by the world, and more often than not, his wife during those last 5 or 10K [:@]

What bike gear you runnin'? The lighter ones don't tend to like us big guys a whole lot.

Keep up the training and the best of luck

Ian
  • Options
    the_moidthe_moid Posts: 23
    cheers Ian [;)]

only just started road biking (been doing spin sessions to build up initial fitness), and finding that i am only using 2 or 3 gears, think at about 8-10 (need to check though!). the light ones are just way too light, as you say !

running isnt getting easier - play basketball for couple of hours also which i am hoping will help, but will probably just knacker my kness and ankles !! fully expecting to slowly move backwards in the standings during the run section [:(]

Stu

• Options
    HonksHonks Posts: 4
    Hi Stu

You and I share a lot, I too play Ball - more for fun these days, I find it breaks up the monotony of solo training. As regards your gears, keep spinnin' - out on the road that is, Lance Armstrong has pretty much revolutionised the way the pro's ride now, grinding big gears is out, spinnin' smaller ones is in - you only have to watch footage of his awesome acceleration on the hills to see the effect.

Hope your weight is still coming off, as Tesco say, 'every little helps'.

What bike have you got? Mine's a Cannondale Optimo for the road, took a gamble on an aluminium frame given my weight but it's been fine - perhaps a bit harsh when in the tuck on rough roads but otherwise OK.

Give us an idea of what training you're putting in.[8|]

Cheers

Ian
  • Options
    jojojojo Posts: 76
    Hi

I'm Joanne from North London.

This is going to be my first Triathlon so it's all a bit scary especially the swimming and cycling. Running should be ok and would consider myself reasonably fit but I guess it's the doing it all together. I too am clocking up the cost of all the equipment - I found a great bike shop in North Finchley which stocks great stuff. I've also bought Mike Finch's book which is helpful.

Am training myself - but would be interested to know if there are any clubs in north london (found one in Bushey but its a bit far)

Anyway am really trying to work out what times I should be aiming for? Any ideas?

Jo
  • Options
    Which part of West Sussex are you from Toby? What events have you planned for this year?

I am in the Chichester area and the first event i have planned is the Steyning sprint at the end of April

David
  • Options
    madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hi Jo - if you look on www.britishtriathlon.org and click on clubs - that should help you find a club local to you ... i was trying to do all my own training which went ok but after joining my local club it has helped massively even given me more confidence. God do I know what you mean about the cost of it all but sod it you only live once might as well look good doing it (esp when falling off) ..... am doing 4 races (so far) this year Cheshire, Chester, Salford & London ..maybe see you there - remember us mortals when you on your winners podium [:)]

bye for now & keep on training !!!!!

madnurse (phil)
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm Mike from London. I've recently tipped 30 and have finally mustered the courage to try a triathlon. Or two. Have entered for Blenheim (sprint) and London (Olympic), but am already wondering which other events would be good (not least because I've heard that London is massively overcrowded and not particularly enjoyable - is this true?). I have always been a runner and have done a few mountain races before, but I have only ever done simming and cycling for fun. I started training in December, and have concentrated almost entirely on swimming, with the odd run thrown in - largely because, until about mid-January, I wasn't even sure that I could swim a full sprint distance without sinking.

My progress in the pool has really cheered me up - I read about every swimming tip I could find, worked on each technique one by one, and am now down to just under 14 minutes for the 750m. However, I am now panicking about the cycle ride. I have an ok'ish mountain bike, last ridden in about May last year, and absolutely no 'cyclists muscles'. I would be extremely grateful for any views on how much difference slick tyres/aerobars/pedal clips/road bikes make? And should you wear socks or not? And are gym bikes any use for training, or are spinning or real riding the only options?

I'm also still panicking about the open water mass swim start - does it really make a difference to start at the side/back or is it just a case of gritting your teeth, going as fast as you can and waiting until it opens up? And how long do you have to tread water at the start line before the green light goes?

Sorry for so many questions.....[&:]

• Options
    bigmatbigmat Posts: 20
    hi mike,

lots of questions, so i'll try and take them in order.

did blenhiem and london last year, and so yes they're pretty busy, but that just makes it more enjoyable as you'll never be at the back! if you're looking for a slightly lower key event, try some of the eton sprints throughout the season. www.humanrace.co.uk for info etc. they're smaller events, but really well run.

soudns like you're doing ok in the swimming. you're certainly not going to sink. mass starts can be a bit daunting, but if you're worried just wait at the back. if you start near the front you'll get faster swimmers swimming over you which can be a bit of a shock. waiting a few seconds will make very little difference to your overall time, and as it's your first tri, enjoying yourself should be a higher priority. as for how long they keep you in the water before the start, well it could be a few minutes. you'll be more bouyant in a wetsuit though, so you'll pretty much float while you're waiting. blenhiem was pretty chilly last year, so you'll probably want to swim around a bit to keep warm.

as for cycling, well slicks on a mountain bike will make a heap of difference. it'll stop the rumbling sound from your tyres too. after that a pair of nice stiff cycling shoes, with clipless pedals if you can afford them, will let you get more power to the bike. tri bars will shave off a bit more time, but take a little bit of getting used to. if you really fall for the sport, then a road bike is a must. you'll be fine on your mountain bike to start with though. blenhiems a bit of a hilly bike course, so sounds like you might want to get a few miles in your legs before then. do it on the road, rather than in a gym though, so you get used to riding a real bike.

and socks when running? i choose not too, as it's easier to get shoes on after the swim without. give it a try on a short run to get your feet used to it though. don't want blisters!

hope that helped.

matt
  • Options
    Hi Mike

To reinforce BigMat, sounds like your swimmings OK. to answer your question about cycling, there is no real replacement for the thrill of being on the bike out on the road. Having said that, if the weather is awful then the Gym is a great idea. The rpoblems with gym bike and treadmills are the lack of wind resitance and the boredom factor. For an olympic distance Tri you will need a long ride of over 30 miles each week + some shorter fast rides. keep your gears small and spin fast to build flexibiltiy, keep your feet flat and pull up on the pedal as well as push down. The good thing about clipless pedals is that you become one with the bike and your technique can become much smoother. On one of the shorter rides try short sharp sprints as in running interval training. Oh and find some hills!

Good luck with the crowds

DAvid
  • Options
    Thanks v.much Matt and David - really useful advice. I'll try and find out a bit more about clipless pedals and cycling shoes (I'd never heard of them before!) and will also get some slick tyres. I have to say though, 30 miles at least once a week frightens the hell out of me - I was thinking more of the odd 10 miler.....

• Options
    Hi everyone,

Fellow newbie here and wanted to say hi.

Live in Twickenham and have just moved from up north, joining the fire brigade in Essex next year (Passed all the tests and assesments so just have to wait).

Come from a team sport background (rugby) so not the typical triathlete build, 6 foot 2 and 200lbs/91Kg (Have lost 9lb since eating right and cutting down on the beer [:)]).Wanted to do something individual rather than team sport and non contact (Never thought i would here myself say that!), just tempting fate playing rugby to break a leg or do your knee ligaments so wanted a solo challenge and triathlon seems like fun to me.

Went to a tri club last week (16.03.06) for swimming and a spin session, swimming was really tough as i have never swam more than 200m front crawl and think we must have swam at least 1200m in training, my arms nearly fell off!!!Spinning in comparison was pretty easy. Can't wait to go back.

Thinking of buying a tri starter pack in a month or 2, www.triuk.com, triathlon bike package no 1. It looks good as you get everything, would like a 2nd opinion though.

Hope the training is going well. Laters.

Huw
  • Options
    ironroseironrose Posts: 5
    hey all,

been doing triathlon for around 5 years now with a 2 year break when I snapped my ACL skiing.

Reasonably experienced but learning all the time, concentrate on IM's of any persuasion, did the Norseman last year which isn't an 'IM' but iron distance. Training this year for IMDE, and will probably do Bala and Pembrokeshire halves along the way for training.

Also snowboard and play golf, oh and drink [:)]

Have a website which has pictures and race reports for anyone deciding to do certain races. www.imageevent.com/ironrose which also has my IM tattoo design on it, I sport the one on the left, the Lanza one was for a mate.

Good luck with the training all.

>IR<
  • Options
    JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Hi ,

I'm Jason from Stowmarket near to Ipswich.

Did triathlon about 10 years ago when I was 22, and gave it up because training for rugby and training for triathlon were too hard. Have been local Captain of rugby club for quite a while, but due to relying on others who don't train, has finally hacked me off. Therefor the only person I can now blame in triathlon for not being up to standard is mself.

I aim to make the Culford sprint my first one this yeat, so am training hard for it, and then I will progress to fitness for a fe wmore, then do it seriously next year, when I hope to be up to full fitness. As it stands I am about 50% way there I think. Will find out at Culford.

Anyways, anybody in the local area want a training partner, then I would love to help.

Speak soon.

Jason