Home Chat General Chat
Options

hello all, please stand and be counted.

Comments

• Options
    StevoStevo Posts: 7
    Hi All, I'm Steve from Windsor (but originally from Notts).

Competed in my first tri in 2003 but had the 2005 season off. Back on it now though and just completed Windsor tri last weekend.

I used to ride a Cannondale R500 but have just got a new Trek 5000. Not sure if its the extra money I spent that makes me pedal faster (to justify the expense) or whether its the bike...Either way, I am a lot quicker now and was pleased with my bike split at Windsor on the weekend.

I got into triathlon through my girlfriend who has competed since 2002. I went along to a few races as a supporter and decided I wanted a piece of the action and have not regretted the decision since.

In my spare(?) time I am doing a diploma in Sports Massage at the London School of Sports Massage in an attempt to plan an escape route from the corporate world. I am due to qualify in September, but am looking for keen victims....sorry, volunteers for me to practice on. Anyone in the Windsor or surrounding area - please do get in touch - until I qualify, it would be free!

Also, see the next issue of 220 magazine to see why sports massage should become part of your training and recovery routine.

Cheers,

Steve
  • Options
    Hi Steve,

Always happy to be a victim in these type of things. Only live in Staines so not far from Windsor, would also be good to maybe meet up and train on bike, run or even in the pool.

Get in touch would be good to speak.

Justin
  • Options
    'Lo, all. I'm Glenn, 35 from Nottingham. Started Triathlon in the forces but then a knee injury put paid to all that. Took up swimming for physio and became half-decent at it. Extra rehab meant I could run decent distances again (did a few half-marathons) and took up martial-arts (Aikido). Thought I'd try getting into Triathlon again - Love it! It's so well organised and everyone's so friendly and helpful.

Weakest discipline is probably transition (I end up chatting to other competitors) followed by the bike (I ride a Bianchi Nirone Alu/carbon Mirage - drool!!).

Done four sprints, one oly and would love to go long 'cos whenever I take part in a tri I never want it to end! [:D]
  • Options
    pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Hi Glenn - nice to hear from someone local - I'm from near Castle Donington.

Have you done local tris? Which ones?

I get shouted at for talking to people in transition, at feed stations, walking their dogs etc etc, so you're in good company!

Glad you are enjoying it - maybe you'll have to join the mad ones here and have a go at the 70.3 at Wimbleball next year??
  • Options
    Hi Pat - Ooh, Castle Donington, eh? Good hills round there. [;)]

Last two tri's I did were Southwell and Mansfield, so yeah, fairly local. I don't gas too much in transition but I get so caught up in the occasion I can't resist making a bit of conversation while I'm frantically changing gear (who says men can't multitask?!).

I think I'd like to try a long-course event 'cos I'd just like to "go the distance". I'm not particuarly good enough at any one discipline to have a good strategy in olympic-distance. Sprint-Tri's I love 'cos you just go for it and blast yourself into the ground and feel great about being so knackered at the end - nothing tastes better than a cold beer afterwards!

Would love to go to Wimbleball next year. Bit apprehensive after reading some of the messages on the forum about the bike course but that just increases the curiosity, right?

Thanks for the encouragement, still loving it! [:D]
  • Options
    Hi Glenn - I hear Mansfield is good, & Southwell was my first tri back in 2002 - can still remember those hills on the bike! I've also done Derby, Clumber and East Leake.

I live at the bottom of the hills in Donington - and sadly I discovered that they bear no resemblance to the mountains on the bike (and run) route at Wimbleball!

What else do you have planned this year?
  • Options
    CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Hi all,

Like most of the others I've posted a few times before spotting this one!

I'm Vince, 37 from Enfield. Have been doing Tri & the odd duathlon for a few short years & have just had my 1st crack at 1/2 IM. Planning to run the marathon next year in preparation for Sherborne as well as continuing with 1/2's.

Big project of the year is convincing my marathon runner gf that triathletes are tougher than marathon runners. Marc Jenkins v Paula Radcliffe!? - No Contest! she'll find out as her 1st Tri is Oly at london this year :-)
  • Options
    Hi Pat. Yeah, Mansfield was very well organised with quite a taxing 5k run: quite hilly, off-road course.

I'm doing the Robin-Hood half-marathon with a friend from work and then I'll probably go for the last minute sprint at Southwell. I'd like to do more before then but getting time off from work can be tricky sometimes. What about you? Anything else planned?

Glenn.
  • Options
    WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi Cenzo.

I'm in Broxbourne, just a few miles up the A10. You're not one of those guys that flies past me at 40km/hr are you?

Where abouts to train?

Wella
  • Options
    Alright Wella,

I'm one of the guys you'll see caning himself up Essendon Hill & Newgate Street & screaming out for a spare lung!

I belong to Trent Park RC in Oakwood http://www.trentparkrc.org/

We have a Tri section ranging from beginners to enthusiatic age groupers like me & a couple of quick Ironmen too. Most of the bike training is done around Herts & we open water swim in Saturdays. Check out the website if you need a club you couldn't do much better, especially as run sessions / comps run throughout the year (fancy some x/c?).

Looking at your 5k times maybe you'd like to have a go at our monthly handicap, last Sat of each month & open to everybody.
  • Options
    WellaWella Posts: 188
    Cheers Cenzo, I'll look into this.

I do all my bike training on the same roads as you by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    Hi Glenn - might see you in Nottingham then - I did the Robin Hood half last year and this year my sister has entered us both for the full marathon. I've never run more than 13.1 - and I'm no runner at the best of times so this should be challenging (she is a runner and is training well at the moment so I think she's going to have to wait for her elders!)

I'm marshalling at the East Leake tri in a couple of weeks (good bike course, small & friendly event), but I might do Clumber at the end of Aug. Quite fancy Last Minute but think I'm still going to be out for the count after Robin Hood. Have always enjoyed the Derby tris out at Etwall too - flat and fast!

• Options
    Hi Pat. Good luck in the full marathon - I'm sure you'll be fine. I've only done one 26.2 miler before and I did enjoy it but I've promised my mate from work that I'll see her round the half course (I hope!). Have you done the Keyworth Turkey Trot half-marathon before in December? That's a good way to shift some pounds before Christmas; really hilly! Hope to see you at the Robin-Hood![:D]

Glenn.
  • Options
    Glenn - have heard of the Turkey Trot - sounds interesting - except I've cycled some of those hills around Keyworth so I know what they're like ....

Do you ever go to TFN in Beeston - most of my spare cash seems to disappear in that shop!
  • Options
    I was in TFN yesterday, I only went in looking for a bike pump. Ended up drooling over the bikes and clothing (the trouble with triathlon is it's so stylish![:D]).

I think I might be able to get a shift-swap so I might get a late entry to the East-Leake tri (time to call in some favours).

Know what you mean about Keyworth. That's why the Robin-Hood is a better bet: much flatter!
  • Options
    Let me know if you do East Leake - my husband's doing it so I shall be in major support mode - and the more people to shout for the better!!

And last time I went into TFN for a couple of inner tubes I came out with a new trisuit ....
  • Options
    loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    To all those that have stood up and been counted over the last few days/weeks welcome and I hope the training is going well.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Kate, I'm 22 and am currently living in Barcelona on a placement year. I got in to triathlon about a year and a half ago after seeing it in Athens and joining the club at uni. Competed in my first Sprint last summer in England, but since coming out have been competing in triathlons/aquathlons/duathlons every second weekend. The weather makes racing easy here, all being open water and I've even joined a Spanish club.

Hoping to train hard next year when I return home for my final year at uni in Sept and get into the UK tri scene next summer!
  • Options
    jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Barca Girl,

Now we're all very jealous... you'll need to start a Barcelona Weather thread just to make us really sick!!

Welcome...!!!!
  • Options
    Jaz - from a historial point of view I can tell you that weather last weekend in Barcelona was fantastic.
  • Options
    Current temperature outside......29º

Current temperature inside office= off the scale, so I'm sweltering! Air con systems being changed, and typical Spanish decide to do it in one of the hottest months!

Heat wave in UK this weekend I hear?

Back home for a few weeks on Sat, so I'm looking forward to a few bbqs!
  • Options
    BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Oh great. Just as I'm planning to leave the country again we get another bout of decent weather.

Last time I left when we had awesome weather it rained for 4 days non stop where I was visiting.... [:D]
  • Options
    jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    [:D][:D][:D][:D] Thats happened to me a few times as well..

Not sure about a heat wave Kate but its been about 24/25 here in sunny Inverness! I now have a tan... well I've gone from blue to a whiter shade of pale![;)]
  • Options
    HI kate & welcome. Hope the weather comes with you!

Jaz I'm in your camp mate, having a fair amount of Irish blood in my veins has sentenced me to being permantly relfective!
  • Options
    BFCBFC Posts: 10
    Hi all,

Have been following the forum as a guest for a while now, and decided to leap in. I'm a 25 year old mature (their term not mine!) student, studying medicine, residing in south london. I did the london triathlon olympic distance last year with some mates, on a borrowed bike and enjoyed it massively. Haven't been able to borrow a bike worth racing on since so haven't competed this summer. But last year I watched a good friend do the UK IM and massively caught the bug. In the last month or so myself and a friend have set our sights on an IM in early 2008. So from olympic to IM in hopefully a number of smaller increments next summer!

Hopefully I'll meet some of you out training, anyone else in the south london area, not far from Toting Bec Lido? Or at races next season.

Now just need to get a decent bike!

BFC
  • Options
    rolyatnairolyatnai Posts: 9
    Hi - the real names Ian Taylor, 37, desperatley trying to hold onto my youth, hey I only shave every other day, do the fun 2 tri series, and train 3 - 4 times a week, come from a cycling background - time trial etc, live in telford, work for an outdoor toy company as head of design, have massive legs, and a little beer belly!, Live with Sue (who's stunning and doing her first tri at Nantwich in September) tyring to get to do the London Marathon next year, got 2 step kids with Sue, and 3 from my first marriage - yes I'm grey haired, would love to be lighter than my 15 and a half stone, but struggling with it! Terrified of open water swimming so now bought a wetsuit, and love the challenge, will do an Ironman in my 40th year, going up to sprint next year and then oly - god help me I'd like to do a decatri before I'm 50!!!!
  • Options
    mikescotttmikescottt Posts: 48
    Hi, just joined the forum. I recently emigrated to New Zealand and I know this is a UK site but seems really good site and wanted to be part of it.

Did a few 10K's back in the UK but no triathlons. Triathlons out here are really popular and I live in Tauranga which has a half ironman in January ...... so what the hell .... I've entered.

I'm just getting back into running (up to just over an hour), have riden an hour (slow) and swam in the pool. Still not ventured out into open water yet. Think that's going to be the hardest part for me!

I've just turned 40 so mid life crisis has kicked in.[8|] Have also joined the MIXED netball team at work. Only got in cos I'm 6'3 but its a lot of fun.

Any advice on completing a half iron without ever heving done a triathlon before would be appreciated [:)]

• Options
    recoilrecoil Posts: 3
    Hi all...

My names Dave and I'm a Triathlon virgin at this point in time... Im signed up to do the Warwick Sprint in September. In a desperate attempt to get fit and less fat I enetered the Stratford Half Marathon earlier this year and completed it in a rather sedate 2:23, followed swiftly by a 10k in 58mins. Next year I'm aiming for the Stratford half in under 2 hours and to complete a HIM, probably the Vetruvian man next September...

[:)]

PS I am having real issues with my swimming [:@]
  • Options
    BFC - Welcome we need a team doctor if you could be on hand to fish some of us out of the dock at london this saturday that would be great..

rolyatni - I assume being from teleford you are aware of the hill out of iron bridge...my god someone could have warned me ;)

mike - decatris/decairon men...read an article about that in 220 a couple of months back ... don't fancy it much and I doubt I'll be able to run a 7 day event passed the missus she struggles with watching a sprint ;)

recoil - I might be doing the Warwick as well if so I will reccing the ride closer to the time if you fancy a ride out...

welcome all...

• Options
    recoilrecoil Posts: 3

Loony :- Would love to... maybe one Sunday over the next few weeks? I actually work really close to the route but live in cov...