Home Chat General Chat
Options

What training have you done today!

Comments

• Options
    EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    did 140km on the bike, at 30kph average, 145bpm. very happy and feeling more and more ready for ironman lanzarote
  • Options
    Hi

I am new to this triathlon thing and have done a very crazy thing and signed up for a sprint triathlon in Harwich, essex this June. I am a swimming by trade so wont have a problem with the 300m swim, can prob do it in about 4mins. But I have only just go into riding in the last years and only have a hybrid. Also I cannot run to save my life - literally if i was being chased by an axe murderer i would be dead, my rugby playing / swimming legs just dont go quick enough.

I am cycling about 15 miles in about an hour at the mo. And I went for a run today 2.8 miles in 27 mins.

Any advice people can offer on my times and best methods of training would be so much apreciated.

The triathlon in 300m in the pool swim, 13 mile cycle and 3 mile flat run.

Many Thanks

Charlie

[image]local://2955/CD2DDD2526F74713A2F150AC2BE2123E.jpg[/image]
  • Options
    3 mile's but then managed to go over on me ankle !*%$
  • Options
    A lovely, lovely 60k bike ride in glorious sunshine and glorious countryside. Deeply enjoyable despite having to wait from time to time for husband to catch up !!

Did some stuff on the gym ball after to stretch out.

Have to agree with a previous comment on this thread - I love triathlon, days like this are magic.

blurredgirl

• Options
    treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Yesterday an uneventful workman like 10Km run - nothing special. Today nothing in preparation for a severe kicking on a reliability trial tomorrow
  • Options
    42k bike today.....absolutely loved every bit of it.....sun on my back and open roads.....[:D]
  • Options
    Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    Did 28k bike yesturday instead of the cycle and gym I planned.

Weather was loverly (but really windy) - Increased average to 22.7km/h. Can't wait to get a nice light road bike where I can have some sembelence of arerodynamicy!
  • Options
    Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Yesterday: Blood Platelet donation, followed by a trip to this new gym place. Never seen the like before. Very strange. To start, the regulars didn't look that fit to be honest - mainly blokes, overweight, and rather large bellies to boot! Only a few were in any thing like sports clothing: Football tops and tracksuit bottoms, mainly. And the equipment was weird. If it wasn't for the stale sweaty smell, I wouldn't have thought it was a gym at all. As I said, strange and limited equipment. What I assumed were the swiss balls, as people were sat on them, were more like rigid wobble cushions, but with four long legs under them. And the benches were really, really big - both high and long/wide. The only free weights were these kind of kettlebells: but rather than steel, were made of a translucent vitreous material. Weird.

The was a bar running down one wall - but it was a bit high, and people looked at me strangely when I tried some hamstring stretches with it. There only seemed to be one kind of exercise - everyone doing the same sort of thing - basically a type of bicep curl with these glass weight things.

Oddly, rather than paying for membership/entry fee, you paid for each exercise set that you did - kind of fair I guess: the more exercise you do, the more you pay.

So, I started a few sets. Each one consisted of a number of reps. Some people were doing them quickly, some were slow. It was a bit like an reverse resistance exercise - The weight started off at its heaviest, then with each rep. went down to a lighter weight. Apart from the bicep curl, there did seem to be a bit of supersetting, with a follow on from the curl targeting some of the core - mainly the neck muscles and oesophagus. All this while sat on the strange rigid swiss ball things - which seemed pretty stable.

I was skeptical of the benefits of this new workout. But after a few sets I started to feel the effects. Firstly, I was having difficult maintaining a nice spine neutral position on these swiss ball things, which I found out were actually called "stools". Not sure if they were swiss or not, though. In fact, my form really started to deteriorate. The next thing, despite the apparent focus on the biceps, when I got up, I could really feel it in my legs. All I can say is that it was a bit like having done some major brick sessions - really jelly feeling, and could hardly walk in a straight line.

Apparently, although each set looked the same, I had been doing some advanced ones: Each set has a different name, and I had started with one called "Old Peculiar", followed by "Brains SA". After that, I forgot the names.

Although I was doubtful of the benefits, after quite a few sets I could really start to see an improvement. I first noticed that the clientelle had improved a bit - seemed a lot smarter, and fitter looking. But what I really noticed was the Missus: she had come to the work out too. And what a transformation! The years were knocked off her, and she started to resemble the slim slip of the girl that she was when we first started courting. Incredible.

So, I can't recommended it enough. An excellent workout, simple exercises, yet targeting different muscle groups, with some very noticeable benefits after just a few sets.

The only disadvantage was that it was a bit pricey - probably spent the best part of a tri-entry fee over the course of the evening.

I was wondering if any of you had come across this type of training before? Although on the way out I swear I saw godluvsatrier, jules, bopo and a few others in the corner.
  • Options
    BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    10 Km last night at a steady pace. Felt great but thought I had gone alot longer. Seems like the nice conditions and heart rate monitor kept me distracted again!!

Nothing to do exept weights later (core)
  • Options
    Swimming today - one set of 1500m and then another set of 500m. Slow after last week's ill health and no swimming for a week - but enjoyable none the less.

blurredgirl

• Options
    jacjac Posts: 452
    21 miles on the bike. Mainly zone 2, with a bit of zone 3 at times. Sun was out. Really enjoyable ride.
  • Options
    GGBGGB Posts: 482
    This morning :- 1 mile run, 5 mile bike, 1 mile run in prepration for my duathlon next week - scary thoughts for me - felt good though and legs were not too bad.

This afternoon:- 1 hour drills with tri club - this was a hard session for me - lots kicking drills and various strokes inc butterfly ... years since I attempted that.

• Options
    60 mile reliability trial. I started off with the A group but extrme speed and my front mudguard getting tangled in my wheel had me drop back to the B group.

This group averaged 21mph, I don't know what the A group averaged but the B group grew steadiliy with shelled out A's as the miles went on. Good fun.

• Options
    mile cycle to the gym 2hrs in the gym 40 mins brick set 10min cycle 10min run 2 times then weights for 40mins folowed by 20 mins cycle then 5 100m row and 7 mins on cross trainer the the mile cycle homefeel tired now but worth it!!
  • Options
    Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Yesterday:

Hour in the pool working on "technique".

Gym: 2.5K Row (lactate threshold). Weights/exercises core + leg/knee strengthening/protection type exercises.

Today: More physio, but probably not much else. Currently 9lbs heavier than last time I raced.
  • Options
    JulesJules Posts: 987
    Longish (for me) bike ride yesterday 23 miles - would have been longer got my first training puncture. Managed to change inner tubes at the side of the road no problem, so a useful experience, if annoying.
  • Options
    Yesterday a good (almost) 10km (well 9.7km) run in 1hr - slow time due to the @##@ing hills around my parents house (inlcuding a 16% that just went on and on....good training for Wimbleball!! First 45mins at RPE 3-4 HR around 150ish last 15mins at RPE 7 HR at about 170ish which was hard....

Today a good swim set:

250m (split as 50m swim/50m kick)

4x100 RPE8 (off 2mins)

300m RPE3-4 (15secs rest)

3x100 RPE8(off 2mins)

200m RPE3-4(15secs rest)

2x100 RPE8(off 2mins)

100m cool down

All with fins - good hard session focusing on speed and stroke (especially on the RPE8 sets)

Only other point is OMG do my calves still aches with my new newtons - at least I am up to 10km tho [:D]
  • Options
    Jack Hughes wrote:

I was wondering if any of you had come across this type of training before? Although on the way out I swear I saw godluvsatrier, jules, bopo and a few others in the corner.

Are you having me followed? [:D]
  • Options
    2k row, followed by 30 mins core work, then 45 mins in the pool, doing 50s and 100s. Feeling quite tired.
  • Options
    bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Long run yesterday; 1.45 hours.

Feast at the evening with friends: loads of meat, bread and veggies, accompanied with the sinner all beers: Leffe 9. Followed up with 2 pieces of choc cake(the friend we visited has a bakery/patisery).

What else better can one refuel on!!!???[8D]

1 hour swim this afternoon: warm up, 5 sets of 400m(focus techn), swim down.

feeling great, this is my first proper recovery week and feel as fresh as ever.

Hope you all go as well!
  • Options
    warm up

40 mins running

20 mins cycling

core work: 50 crunches

oblique plank's

40 crunches

oblique plank's

30 crunches

oblique plank's

• Options
    10Km fast trail running with a friend, loads of sharp steep hills quite good fun. No Time Taken
  • Options
    BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Stead 8.4KM last night. Got the munchies near the end so a quick last 2.5 K
  • Options
    Just under an hour's steady run last night.
  • Options
    Weight's and strength training
  • Options
    Today's bike started brilliantly - first real session on the bike in months (not a turbo session) - great to be out on the road....right up to the point I hit the pothole I didn't see and crashed [:o]

Really sore possibly broken a rib and badly bruised detroyed my helmet and worst of all my Trek Equinox 9.5 looks like it has been in the wars[:@]

Not a happy bunny[:(]
  • Options
    I haven't posted for a while due to injury, illness and weather.. but I'm back training properly!!

cycled home tonight.. new fastest time!!! about 10.5miles at full pace..

that new stead is good...
  • Options
    Hi guys, first time on this link....

Today 2.5k swim over an hour with different drills followed by an hour five a side football.

Now for a curry and beers.
  • Options
    One hour tri club swimming session - my first. Really enjoyed it. Ironing out weaknesses in the stroke.

• Options
    90 minutes of sculling including 2 x 15 minute pieces at race pace against a womens' quad scull. I won both it was quite tough going until I actually passed them!