Home Chat General Chat
Options

What training have you done today?

Comments

• Options
    madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI Loon - i can find my swim pracise so much harder to do than say a session with the tri club even though I will usuallu swimm further & faster with the club. its all about the psychology of the watch (as you say) & of swimming against yourself when alone - not as easy to acheive as when you have a little competition and pride kicks in at a greater level.

however all training is useful even no training is recovery for your next session

mad
  • Options
    mgs76mgs76 Posts: 10
    This looks quite an inspiring thread! Here goes....

Yesterday.

AM - Swim. Did a gentle pace for 25 minutes. I seem to be rubbish at swimming first thing (anyone else get that? I seem to be okay if I'm up for an hour or so but if I get up and go straight to the pool, I'm gasping for breath all the way through!)

20 minute bike ride each way to work and back.

PM - Workout at home for an hour - push ups, sit ups, squats, lots of stretching.

• Options
    loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    exactly.....

after seeing all the "runners" in the pool breast stroking I thought - gonna show you boys how to swim..as yous are gonna muller me on the run..

• Options
    today ;

swim - 1 x 100m breast w/up

3 x 500m crawl (400m at 60% 100m at 80%) 60 sec recovery

1 x 100m breast w/down

mad
  • Options
    DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Mgs know what you mean about early morning, it sometimes takes me a while to wake up and get going in the pool

Lastnite: Swim squad 400m warm up

100 F/c

4x100 alternating kick only arms only F/C

100 f/c

20x25m F/C sprints on 30 secs.

100 f/c

400m timed swim 7:30

Mad

regarding your comment about motivation differences between racing and training and squad sessions. Last night i could not cope mentally or physically with 20 one length sprints when given 30 seconds to complete each and rest. 10 minutes later i was able to complete 400m timed swim at an average of 27 seconds per length! I need to be in a coached squad to train effectively, i cannot train on my own without trailing off and losing concentration, or going home!

David

• Options
    hI dAVID - I found by recognising this "phenonema" (BIG WORD) and working with it ie generally usiing solo sessions for drills & distance work and club sessions for acquiring new drills / skills for stroke as well as swim training at hgher levels of exertion / endurance. Both are useful I find but then i am mad

phil [8D]
  • Options
    guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Been to hospital today the doctor said I may have my plaster off in 3 weeks if its healing ok, although it will take longer to heal fully I sure swimming and the bike will be ok. Only 21 days to go !!!
  • Options
    HI Guv - just think how many press ups, sits etc you can do in 3 weeks !!!!!

you will be there 3 weks aint long

madnurse (phil) [:D]

• Options
    Ian

Didn't realise they did that, 1:01.4 that's pretty good.

There sem to be a selection of good challenges on there, rather than just the 2000m challenge.

David
  • Options
    David,

Are you talking about the cross team challenge thing? - had me confused there for a while...I was at the time hoping to break a minute.

yeah I tried to get into rowing for a bit before I had decide to have a crack at a triathlon ... I am thinking of using rowing as my off season training and using the challengs as something to keep me interested...dunno...I may just hit the weights

I figure I have 3 months between my last tri and kicking off training for next season to do summat different..

• Options
    what others you planning on Ian ? (out of intrigue)

• Options
    Ian - yes, the cross team challenge; i agree with you that the rowing is a good alround excercise and can be used as part of our tri training, especially on those dark and cold winter days. You do have to keep it up though don't you, i haven't done it seriously now for a while and i am quite slow when i do. I always find it amusing watching people's technique and the effort that they waste when rowing. I am still suffering slightly from a groin strain (left adductor) and rowing irritates it. it is improving so i may be able to get on the rower in the winter.

Mad - are you aware that in Marlborough there is a Tri club which might suit you? Mad Tri.

David
  • Options
    fookingnutternurse:- Ironbridge Sprint - London Oly - Then maybe helvellyn - and maybe the nantwich relay (these last 2 depend to varying degrees on cycling buddy and my wifes work)

David - I you confused me for a while cos I posted that months ago...;)

Ah my favourite past time in the gym (apart from watching aussie rules aerobics) is amusing my self with the poor technique on the rower..I aint the perfect rower but I have a grasp of the basics I sometimes feel like offering help but then think nah they are only on there to burn calories...

• Options
    guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I new I was doing something useful in the gym and now I know what it was ---- Amusing people like you lot with wild rowing technique, seriously you should offer help when you see this.
  • Options
    Ian

Sorry for the confusion, keeps you awake though. Somehow i managed to read the bottom of page 1 and then reply!!

David

PS how do you approach someone and say "do you want to know how to do that properly" without getting a smack?
  • Options
    No worries and its a good point...how do you go about that?

Guv if you have any tips please let me know..

• Options
    Last night...

bike with the club...about 12 miles I think before we rebelled and called it a night - 5minutes in the heavens opened and wind picked up ...

• Options
    rain cancelled play ????????? feck me how heavy was it ???? (chuckles)

madnurse

ps you sure you dont want some fins
  • Options
    jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Mornin' all!

Went for a longer run yesterday for the first time in ages.

7 miles with 3 fast 1 min intervals - total time 52mins

Swim club last night - more videoing - this time it was breast stroke and butterfly - found out we're getting a new coach who also coaches the highland swim team - woo hoo! [:D][:D][:D]

By the end of the season I'll be flying down the lanes.

Biking today at some point -

Cheerypip

Jaz
  • Options
    hard...these were seasoned Tri-nutters and all of them wanted out... i was fairly happy to go for another lap (as I think was the organiser/leader of the ride)

But it was no fun really with a pint of water in each shoe

• Options
    jojojojo Posts: 76
    Guys

Today - did 30 mins on cross trainer - level 11 - 5 mins slow 1 min fast etc - then was going to do 10k bike but couldn't be bothered

tonight went to tri swimming club - only me and one other guy turned up - the others are all doing Blenheim tomorrow. He said my stroke had really improved which pleased me.

Did 100 m fc - 30 sec rest - Did this about 12 times may be more (for an hour). It was good - really feel I'm coming on now.

was also going to ride to swimming club but it looked like it was going to rain and I thought it might get dark and don't know if I've got lights on my bike (I think I have got reflectors at least)

Dying to use it though - so hopefully going to a cycling club on sunday for a 3 hour ride.

Shins always feel better after a swim - but going to up the swimming and cycling this week in preparation for (hopefully) a steady return to running beginning of June.

By the way - can't remember why - but apparently eating a few almonds is supposed to be good for us athletes - maybe someone can enlighten us or I'll look in my notes.

Jojo
  • Options
    rollorollo Posts: 25
    Not long been back from a 6 mile run ..... flippin heck its windy......
  • Options
    THursday am swim: 400 warmup, 4x200, 4x100, 4x50.

Thurs pm Bike: 10m TT 27:09 VERY windy, most people were a good minute slower than last week (me included)

Fri pm Run 3+ miles

local 10K race on Sunday

DAvid
  • Options
    a.m. run - 4 mile / 25 mins (getting there after shin splints)

p.m. bike 7 mile, swim 2500m, bike 7 mile (swim with tri club)

mad as ....
  • Options
    a.m. bike - 40 mile (with tri club)

p.m. swim - 1500m (steady pace)

madnurse (phil)
  • Options
    Radiostar10Radiostar10 Posts: 15
    Hi Phil

My training is a little less than yours but I'm swimming 400 m and then cycling 20 k or I may cycle 20 k then run 4k

decisions decisions...................

quick quetion, I'm cycling on a mountain bike with slicks, I'm not sure to get an aerobar, what do you think ??

cheers

Radiostar10
  • Options
    Hi Dave - you asked about a mtb with slicks & aero bars. the slicks definately as they will add speed although will look way too skinny compared to your off road knobblys. The aero bars I would tread careful on. I have a pair on mine but with the length of the top tube being longer on mtbs than road you may find yourself becoming overstretched and even unstable. not a good situation to be as your brakes and gears are now elsewhere on the bike. If your mtb is short enough for you to reach comfortably then it may be an option. at this stage though with only 2 weeks to Nantwich your probably best leavng your setup as you are used to it.

madnurse
  • Options
    jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Chuffin' hell madone if you're getting there doing 4 miles in 25 mins then god help the rest of us... thats going it some!

Anyhoo

yesterday 30k bike - one long hill at the start (15 mins worth of climbing) then all the way back down (topped 40mph) - then undulating on the way home.

Today - swimming - about 1600-1800m - working on drills and 200m sets with 30 secs rest

Jaz
  • Options
    hi jaz - thanks but remember thats just a run with fresh legs not after a swim & straight off the bike ...
  • Options
    But even so Madone, 6 min miling is pretty fair. Perhaps you could be on for a 40min run at London?

This am: swim solo session, 2x150m, 2x100m, 4x50m, 2x100m, 2x150m, 1x200m. Really tired before swim but several slices of maltloaf afterwards have helped with that.

David