Home Chat General Chat
Options

What training have you done today?

Comments

• Options
    pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Hey, I'm just an ordinary wife & mum .... and I do have a bit of trouble keeping up with those Giant African Land Snails ......

But I keep posting my not very special training on here because I hope it might help others like me who aren't quite as strong and speedy as some of you guys ...

Tue - 1 loop of bike course for Derby Duathlon - 13ish miles, 47 minutes, ave 16.8mph. Kept telling my legs the hills weren't as bad as Wimbleball but my legs didn't believe me ......
  • Options
    Sunday: Great North run (first ever half in fact the longest I'd ever run)

2 hours 8 mins

never again

today and yesterday nothing

tomorrow mountain biking in wales.

Jane
  • Options
    Friday - swim interval session. trying to get technique correct (without much success) looks like a course of lessons is needed.

4 mile run, averaging 7 min/per/mile

sat day off

sun day off

mon - Swim interval session, 2200m in total.

Tues - brick session 16 mile bike into 4 mile run.

• Options
    loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Pat - I am pretty sure the land snails can run faster than me any chance I could train with them as pace makers...from now on when I think I don't have time to train i'll only have to think of you.

anyway to the training

Weights in the Gym - The Anatomical Adaption phase of Joe Friel's weights.

Everything feels light..

• Options
    Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Done nothing but swim for the last 3 days or so as im starting to get a mental 'block' thats stopping my progress.

I think im breaking thru it slowly and gaining a better style,

My Entire Ironman hope are resting on the swim leg i guess as the training days left tick by so fast.[&:]

• Options
    Rich_c - which ironman?

training this morning

more weights [:@] still I will have a body like david (hopefully with the arms) and be able to turn huge gears by the winter is over [;)]

• Options
    guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Been away with work for the last 4 weeks so notime to train but yesterday got back into it with a 6km run. Hi to all those that I already know on here and welcome to anyone new.
  • Options
    Hi, Loonytoon,

The Lanzarote next May 19th.

• Options
    Rich_C - respect supposed to be the mother of all Ironmen
  • Options
    3 Hours in the pool today, started to make progress now and learning to glide instead of 'flap'[:D]

Throwing some total immersion work in with the basics and its staring to work.

Nothing tomorrow, as half marathon on Sunday all being well.

• Options
    madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    since eastnor castle and sandstone trail I have spent this week chilling .... apart from mentally sending me truely loopy my body (physically) seems happier place to be so i guess a week out now n then wont kill us ... I squeezed a 30 min turbo session in before work this morning to to kick things back in prep before snowdonia marathon at the end of the month. focus will be (obviously) running til then with odd bike n swim sets thrown in. After that holiday for a week or two before beginning the rudementary training for next season (gulp) but more about that another time.....

hoping you have / had a high to the end of your season - I am so chuffed to have planned to do a sprint but then actually going on to complete a 1/2 some 3 months later. thanks to all for suport and encouragement not to mention the donations do far for the NSPCCC.

madnurse (phil) [:D]
  • Options
    Madnurse, I've been reading through this thread and have found it very 'inspirational' (not done a tri yet) ..... really interesting to read that your swim time improved so dramatically with the use of a wetsuit ..... was that a typo or did you really improve by 15 seconds a length (25M presume) ..... I am buying wetsuit next week ... would love that kind of improvement. Not done any open water swims yet but am in New Zealand so coming into summer and can't wait to get out there and try it (although really nervous!!!) .... do you know how your swim times in open water with wetsuit compare to pool times without???

To keep on thread I'll post my weekend training - Sat 90mins bike (first time with aerobars - love them) Sun 60 mins bike (easy ride) then 30 min run - still early days for me with bricks

• Options
    I'm doing all base training at the moment, just recovering from a dislocated shoulder. Was training for a half ironman, now I'm struggling with olympic distance training!

[ul][*]1 hour bike ride zone 2[*]15 minute sprint on bike in zone 4-5 (just for fun!)[*]1 hour swim zone 2-3[*]Stretch[/ul]Gotta love training!

• Options
    WellaWella Posts: 188
    Friday - Unexpected long ride home from work as all the trains were cancelled. 18 miles at a steady pace.

Sunday - Nike RunLondon 10k race. PB at 45m 13s and beat my workmate!

Monday - Upper body weights at the gym.
  • Options
    Sat - Up before dawn for 8 mile run - hilly and VERY windy. Think I must be mad .....

Now got a cold so feeling sorry for myself .....
  • Options
    more weights in the gym at lunch...

didn't get through the whole lot...but have a plan to get it sorted tomorrow ;)

• Options
    Sunday, Half marathon, failed to prep and it all went wrong[:@]

Shin splint in my left leg after 3 miles (training injury i thought had gone away from a week before) and cramp in my right Quad and Calf after 5 miles. Both did not go and i 'ran'??? the last 8 miles in pain. Lessons were learned!!

It took me 2 HOURS! to get round[&o]

Monday, 50 meter intervals in the pool.

Today, 30 miles on the Static bike, 1 1/2 hours intervals in the pool again.

• Options
    run - steady 12 miler (nothing heroic just pacing work over two hours)

[;)]
  • Options
    madnurse wrote:

run - steady 12 miler (nothing heroic just pacing work over two hours)

[;)]

[:D] I like the humour bro!! quality![;)]

Roll on Snowdonia [&:][8D]

Regards, Rich
  • Options
    in a twisted way am also looking forward to it .... be a bit odd tho not having swam or biked before the run tho ... oh well just 26 miles between me and me pint...
  • Options
    30 mins easy on turbo-trainer. Still have cold/bad chest, but now getting frustrated at not being able to get outside .....

And, would you greyhounds out there please remember that there are those of us (well, there's me, anyway) for whom a 2 hour half-marathon is just a dream ...... !!!!

Can't imagine ever moving that fast - but I'm very impressed with those who do!
  • Options
    Just got back from a lunch time bash at the weights...

...when I am doing them they hurt and I know I can't lift heavier without failing the set but as soon as I have showered it almost feels like I haven't done anything...

currenting doing 20reps at "lowish" weight to get my body used to doing weights again ...there is a plan to all this at least Joe Friel says there is...

---nurse---

You are a sick and twisted individual 12miles "nothing heroic"? I am not sure I agree that its humour but its summat [:)][:)][8D]

• Options
    WellaWella Posts: 188
    Loon,

Aching after you've done weights isn't a necessicty. As long as your working to failure you are doing the right thing. As for afterwards, your months or years of tri training just means your muscles are used to being abused on a regular basis!

Just out of interest, what are you aiming for when doing weights?

Wella
  • Options
    3 hours in the pool today. Intervals and a 1 mile leg.

Felt good and was a defining moment in my training thus far. 2.4 miles in 2 hours or less now looks realistic and credible for me. Wont be easy, but no longer a pipe dream.

3 months ago i could only swim 10 meters. Surprising what you can do when you want it bad enough[;)]

• Options
    60 mins spinning ... huge effort pushed hard ..

(well done Rich ... quite a milestone for you !!!!!!)

• Options
    Cheers Phil,

Having a stab at 2 miles tomorrow morning, confidence is high so i may as well try and roll with it.

Got my confirmation for IM UK today, so i better pull my finger out and get my act together[&:][;)]

• Options
    if you can match your bike n run to your swim you will have little if any worries come IMUK.... am waiting on a place for IM Austria (fingers crossed) if that falls through then its either a season of 70.3 or I will be at IMUK chasing your ass [;)]
  • Options
    madnurse wrote:

if you can match your bike n run to your swim you will have little if any worries come IMUK.... am waiting on a place for IM Austria (fingers crossed) if that falls through then its either a season of 70.3 or I will be at IMUK chasing your ass [;)]

I im sure i will be doing the chasing[;)]

Gotta say I have alot of time and respect for you mate for your work towards the NSPCC. I speak from the heart on that matter for personal reasons.

Top lad[:)] Keep it up[;)]

• Options
    wella - cheers... I am working to nearer failure [:D] i.e. if put the weights up any i'll fail (before the last rep) as the last couple of reps are tough on all the second sets for each exercise

As far as achievement is concerned...

I am basically using the winter months to do the weights session I never did due to lack of time during the build up to may races.

I am following a slight modified version of the weights proscribed by Joe Friel in Triathlon Training Bible in which he suggest periods/phase of weights so I am currently doing a few weeks of Anitomial Adaption before moving onto heavier weight...

Overall goal is to be stronger(more muscle mass) come january when the weights will have to be dropped in favour of more swim/bike/run training.

• Options
    loon - not a bad plan by any means to increase strength & endurance through hyotrophic activiity (gaining muscle) from experince alwasy make your training replicate your event as much as possible (so a 1 rep max of a squat doesnt really equate to a 40k bike) but perhaps more importantly what ever gains you make over winter you need to maintain through spring n summer even if you only include one session on a regular basis of strenght training otherwise it will all slowly melt away as you edndurance / cario fitness takes over..... only food for thought (oh yeh and dont be scared of eating loads to fuel all this training)