Options

What training have you done today?

Comments

• Options
    75 minute run zone 2.

2km indoor swim, mostly technique work.

• Options
    loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    currently doing 20reps of each exercise (these are what Friel suggest for an oly distance tri-athlethe)

Leg Press

Lat Pull down

Leg Press {instead of squat as there are limited free weights at my gym}

Chest Press

Seated Row

Leg ext

Abs

Arm curl (when time allows)

OH armcurl (when time allows)

In the next "phase" some of the exercises come down to 12 reps then 6 after that...then the strength maintanence (SM) phase is 15reps (I think)

Hadn't planned on continuing SM much into the new year as I figure if I am stronger than the start of last year I'll "melt away" to a higher point..plus the running biking and swimming will also help with maintanence..

• Options
    Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Loonytoon,

Be carefull when you drop down the rep range and start lifting heavier weights. 1 Rep max squats have caused injuries to some athletes that have put them out of training for an entire season. If your doing heavy bench work then allways have 'spotters' who are good enough to catch the barbell/dumbells should you fail as its easy to cause all kinds of muscle damage and fibre tears if the spotters miss the ball by a split second.

I put a tear in my delt and nearly a 40KG dumbell trough my head due to heavy lifts and poor 'spotting'[&:] I could not train properly for 8 weeks.

Pre-exhust is the way to go IMO.

• Options
    24 miles on bike.... 1 hr 40 mins ave spd 14.06mph, I did however spend 25 minutes crawling around in the middle helping my mate look for his dog he lost!
  • Options
    WellaWella Posts: 188
    Loon,

Looks like a nice balanced plan. I used the Tom Holland plan from the 12 week triathlete book last year. At the moment I'm training 3 to 4 times a week to try and zap some of the fat away. I do 4 sets of between 8-12 reps. Once I can do 12 reps on all 4 sets then I up the weight. My increase in strength in the last 4 weeks is probably the best in a year and half of weight training.

Great point by madnurse, once you hit the cardio next spring your muscle will start to waste away. If you can fit 2 weights sessions a week into your plan it will be worth it. Then drop it a couple of weeks before racing.

One other point, stay away from Deadlifts. Knackered my back last Tuesday, even lifting a light weight, and its still uncomfortable. I read on the web that 8 out of 10 people who do deadlifts regularly have back trouble. Not much training last week as a result.

Saturday - Rugby

Monday - Weights at Gym

Wella
  • Options
    Rich_C, Wella and Nurse...cheers for the tips...I am probably gonna try and squeeze in some lunch time weights as I am now when the cardio starts (nice one nurse)..

Rich_C - Thanks for the advice but don't worry I don't ever (and never plan to) do one rep maxes not tri-specific plus as you mention risk of injurt is high...when "testing" one rep max current weights are "40% of 1rep max" I tend to do 2 sets of eight reps upping the weight for each set. Before this phase of weights I did this over 2days and also scored wether or not I failed before the end or if I thought I could up the weight again if I tried ... I then used friels formula which is basically if you can do eight reps one rep max that weight *0.85 (he has a table for other number of reps)...

our gym is machine based only [:@] but outs better than nowt..so chest press is not on a benches and deadlifts aren't aren't an option

• Options
    madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    last night

bike - 2 hours spinning (back to back classes) - feel the burn appreciate the view [8|]
  • Options
    Yesterday 25 miles Bike. 2 miles steady run

Today 2 hours 100 meter intervals
  • Options
    RewRew Posts: 62
    Last Monday a 4 mile trot in 32:33 minutes

Last night a 5.1 mile trot in 41:34 minutes.

Running has been a weak point of mine for the last couple of years so I want to get some mileage in the legs this winter and build up to 10 miles then throw in some shorter, faster runs in the new year.

Will then start on the turbo brick sessions.
  • Options
    lunch time weights - as per previously dicussed... only got this and next week of 4sessions a week then I can add some more cardio

as I can't at the minute do mornings on account of trainee guide dog transportation I can do cardio as well as weights but I have a cunning plan to add 20miles a somedays on the bike
  • Options
    WellaWella Posts: 188
    Tuesday - Full body weights at the gym

Wednesday - 40min bike

Got off the train a few stops early and cycled into London. Only took 10 more minutes than if i'd got the train the whole way.

Why do I pay for a monthly ticket?????

Wella
  • Options
    20 miles bike, 2 miles run today.

4 Hours swim tomorrow, found myself a local instructor who gives advanced lessons (not that im advanced[8D]). Hes highly rated and great rates too[:)]
  • Options
    run - 16 miles .... more pacing stuff pre snowdonia (less achey than last weeks distance run) [:D]

rich - race pack finally arrived - am no 861 .. see you there !!!!!!!
  • Options
    back in the gym this lunch time...

nowt interesting to report...other than lots of heavy things been lifted

• Options
    run - steady plod of 15 miles in 2'30 - nowt too strenuous but got seriously rained on (last distance run before race) ....

madnurse [8D]
  • Options
    15 miles bike, 3 miles run carrying the bike[8D]

Punctured out[:@]

1 hour intervals AM.

Tomorrow,

3 hours intervals/ distance work.

1 hour static bike

5 mile run (test day to see if shin splint healed for marathon)

Madnurse, what time you looking at for the run?

Be honest![;)]
  • Options
    hi rich .. to be honest am not looking for mad full on times (like you i have a few big races and using this in part as part of my build for that) however will be looking for between 5 - 6 hours which should be a comfortable pace ... any quicker be a result but is more about completing a marathon as a psychological tick box pre IM ..........how your shin splints after the test run ???
  • Options
    Yesterday I think about a 2000m swim session. Then a major drinking session of wine with the girlies. Not ideal preparation for 10km road race today.

However new PB in the southport seaside 10km of 48 mins 41 secs nearly a minute off my PB. Boy did my head hurt.

Jane

Ps mad nurse do you know about the coached swim session on sat mornings in st helens. open to all triathletes in the north west. I'll let you know more details if you want!
  • Options
    JAne - if you could PM me with the details of the coached swim that would be good of you (thanks) - well impressed at your PB with the 10k (have done many a session with similar "training" - not recommended from a medical perspective but hey.....) did you think about about the 2k swim or do as well as the girlie wine evening .. impressed either way ... me thinks you have kicked into the tri attitude so quick ... hats off etc

[:D]
  • Options
    Hi Madnurse,

Only did 6 miles on the treadmill but the shin was fine. Ive changed shoes and padded the hell out of them so i should be fine for the run next Sunday.

Im treating it as nothing more than a test run myself and will eat and drink at many of the feeding stations to get some experience at long distance refuling as it causes me enough grief on long bike runs.[&:]

Its a tough course indeed and some big climbs. Ill be happy to get round and feel ok at the end! LOL

• Options
    75 mins in the pool doing 50M intervals this morning. Trying to up the pace a bit.
  • Options
    Did actually do the swim on saturday and then the alcohol session.

Yesterday 30 min on the turbo.

Today planning to do a swim session

Jane
  • Options
    jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi all... not posted for a while cos all I've been doing is running ... after my initial post tri season blues I really got into it. DId a 1/2 marathon a week past sunday in Aviemore... 1hr 36m 15... beat my pb by nearly 8 minutes and as I'd only managed to get in 3 long runs I can only put it down to all the tri training I've been doing.

Anyhoo.... finally decided to take the plunge and go for a swim yesterday after a month off... oh my god it was hard work. Stuck to 50m sets just getting a feel for the water...

Although it was hard I haven't forgotten the technique. So I'm already miles ahead of where I was this time last year... just need to build swim fitness again!

Roll on base training! (one more half marathon to go)
  • Options
    tri club swim last night...not sure of distance but the fact I aint been near a pool nearly 5weeks certainly showed all the old problems came out again...timing/droping my arm when breathing/not catching up properly...

anyhow weights at lunch...

Edit- weights done at lunch - upped the weight abit today for the second set will do all sets at the higher weight tomorrow (I hope)

good to see everyone is training hard
  • Options
    bike - 45 turbo work ... mainly to lubricate the knees (needed a change form pounding pavement) [;)]
  • Options
    30min Tread Mill - Steady

5km Rowing - Neg Splits on 1km

1km Pool - Pull - 25 easy/strong

I have to admit, I struggle with training this time of year. I am doing the 'Stickler' in Dorset next week, but apart from that....nothing till April 2007....help!
  • Options
    Nurse...Have you got that turbo working properly yet?
  • Options
    Today, 90 mins in the pool, 75M intervals, very short breaks.

Steady day today as busy day tomorrow
  • Options
    hi loon - had it working ish the other day - then tried to ugrade the software (to fortius) and now it udders up again but hey i can always ride it without the pc .. (am even joining manchester harriers over winter to add to my regime for next year). plus look a go-er for austria ... had the costings back .. need to wangle wether flying or driving over but hey that small details in comparison.

mad
  • Options
    pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Tue - club run. Only 3.8 miles, but at least I'm moving again ...